WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by klonos, Oct 8, 2007.

1. klonos

klonos New Member

Was just checking the logs of some of my ubuntu mail servers, just to see if all is ok and found this warnign. VirusDBs are updated ok, but clamav needs to be upgraded. Apt-get install says version is already the newest.

Can someone provide step-by-step instuctions of the upgarde process to the latest version?? Do I have to first unistall and then re-isntall new version from sources? Any way this can be automated each time a new version comes up?

2. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

Did you check the alternate sources for clamav on the clamav page?

3. klonos

klonos New Member

Yes I did, and I saw that there are some debian packages, but being a Linux newcomer and all what I am looking for is step-by-step instructions if they are available. If not, I am going to try one or two things myself, but I am not that confident with linux yet and I am afraid I might mess things up.

4. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

5. klonos

klonos New Member

Yes I did, and I saw that there are some debian packages, but being a Linux newcomer and all what I am looking for is step-by-step instructions if they are available. If not, I am going to try one or two things myself, but I am not that confident with linux yet and I am afraid I might mess things up.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The steps to get the latest clamav are:

1) Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list

and add the following line at the end of the file:

Code:
    deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main contrib non-free
    2) run the following commands:

apt-get update
    apt-get -u upgrade

LAKSHA likes this.
  7. klonos

klonos New Member

Thank you both Ben and Till!

I have already tried what you suggest and it did seem to have worked fine. Apt-get update spit the following:

Then I did
    and it all went ok with some warnings that the sources are not signed or something like that, plus some prompts to accept that this is ok by typing [yes] y. But installation went all the way and I saw latest version numbers being installed (clam 0.92.1) and fleshclam service being stopped and started again.

I have logwatch installed (which was how I found out that clamav virus dbs were being apdated but the engine wasn't upgraded in the first place) and it shows still that version 0.88.7 is installed. Re-runing apt-get says all is already the latest version.

From clamav website faq:

So:

What do you people make out of these? Everything in pace or not??

BTW, how can I find the version of clamav running ??? I did some extra work on my own:

plus /etc/clamav/clamav.log shows normal activity. Googling around I came across some post that said I'll have to manually change the version number in a file in some rare cases after upgrading. Unfortunatelly I cannot remember where this post was or the filename... just helping you people in helping me.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can try
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/clamd -v
    or
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/clamd -V
    to find out the ClamAV version.

9. klonos

klonos New Member

That's exactly my point falco, fleshclam.log stopped complaining about an outdated version after what to me seemed like a succesful upgrade to 0.91.2. But, when I do:

Code:
    calmd -V

I get:

Code:
    CalmAV 0.88.7

What do you make out of this??

10. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    updatedb
    locate clamd
    ? Maybe you have two ClamAV versions installed at the same time.

11. klonos

klonos New Member

Yes, I know about that. It said to do so (check for two versions) somewhere at the calmav website's FAQs. They suggested to check it by using whereis instead of updatedb-locate and I have already checked it.

Anyways, here it is:

Code:
    root@mail:~# updatedb
    root@mail:~# locate clamd
    /etc/clamav/clamd.conf
    /usr/bin/clamdscan
    /usr/sbin/clamd
    /usr/share/doc/clamav-base/examples/clamd.conf
    /usr/share/doc/clamav-docs/clamdoc.pdf
    /usr/share/doc/clamav-docs/clamdoc.tex.gz
    /usr/share/doc/clamav-docs/html/clamdoc.css
    /usr/share/doc/clamav-docs/html/clamdoc.html
    /usr/share/doc/clamav/examples/clamdmon
    /usr/share/doc/clamav/examples/clamdmon/clamdmon-1.0.tar.gz
    /usr/share/doc/clamav/examples/clamdwatch
    /usr/share/doc/clamav/examples/clamdwatch/clamdwatch.tar.gz
    /usr/share/man/man1/clamdscan.1.gz
    /usr/share/man/man5/clamd.conf.5.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/clamd.8.gz
    /var/lib/ucf/cache/:etc:clamav:clamd.conf
    /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl
    /var/run/clamav/clamd.pid
    root@mail:~#

Only one version, right??

Also tried to compare log files and settings with another mail server. I got nowhere because the second mail server is Ubuntu 7.04 (with clamav 0.91.1) and not 6.10. There I have the issue of empty clamav.log and freshclam.log. Nothing to compare with! 0 lines! Seems as if nothing is recorded. Strange huh? Any Ideas on this one?

12. falko

Yes, there seems to be only one version installed.
    What's in /etc/apt/sources.list?

13. klonos

klonos New Member

Here's what's in my sources.list:

14. falko

Looks ok.

Try this:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install clamav

15. klonos

klonos New Member

As I said in one of my previous posts, I think that the installation has gone ok in the first place, but here it is:

but still:

And let me remind you that I recall, during my googling around on this subject, someone mentioning something about manually editing some file someplace in order to overcome this issue. I just cannot remeber where I've read about it and neither can I remember the certain file. Hope this helps.

16. falko

17. klonos

klonos New Member

Yes!!! That did the trick. I was not sure which packages of all I should try and I went with the latest versions of _i386 and the _all where _i386 was not available. I left clamav-milter and libclamav-dev out (hope I did the right thing) and also libclamav1 as it was refering to 0.8x version of clam.

Now:

So, do consider this case closed. Dear falko, thank you yet once again for your guidance.

18. LAKSHA

LAKSHA Member

@till Awesome