Web Hosting

Discussion in 'General' started by wabz, Sep 28, 2009.

1. wabz

wabz New Member

I have been on the forum for quite some time now and have done a few servers for small clients. I havent got really much around to understand ispconfig on suse 11.1 and would like to now officially find out. Just a few questions really?

1. What is like the minimum specification of a good web server that can host up to 30 websites with a minimum of like 400mb each?
    2. What is the minimum and recommended bandwidth for effectively hosting upto 30 websites?
    3. What other requirements are needed to effectively offer web hosting services based on ispconfig?

Please help highlight me on this issues. Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig itself is not needing any resources, so your questions are basically which requirements does an apache webserver with postfix and amavisd has.

I recommend that you have at least about 2 GB ram, as ram is so ceap it does not hurt to have even more as more ram will speed up your server (for example as mysql and the kernel can use more ram for caching). The bandwidth depends on the page requests that you expect for the sites and not the number of sites. You might have 30 sites with 10 000 requests per site and month and you can have one site which has 10 million requeststs per month.

One site note from my site. For a hosting server I personally wont choose SuSE Linux. Better use Debian. You will see that its more stable and faster on the long term. And if you dont have much ram, use 32Bit Linux and not 64 Bit as 64Bit applications use more RAM then thir 32Bit counterparts. So if you dont have more then 3 GB Ram, I recommend to use a 32Bit Linux.

3. wabz

wabz New Member

Debian

You talked about debian .... i have never used debian before and i am wondering coz there is etch and lenny....squeeze is just out. Also there is a debian distribution 5.0.3 i guess that is lenny. Which is the most appropriate for a web server with ispconfig 3

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Debian Lenny