web server and kde

Discussion in 'Technical' started by horacius, Sep 11, 2008.

1. horacius

horacius New Member

I was wondering if its a bad idea to setup a web server with mysql and php from kde? I would like to setup a small web server to learn mysql and php and I dont have another machine aviliable. I have a windows box which my family uses and I could check the server from that machine while I do all the programing in the server's machine (fedora 9).

Regards.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If it's just for testing, it's ok, but you would not run a desktop on a production system.

As an alternative, you can install VMware Server or VirtualBox and set up your test machine as a virtual machine.

3. Will Repair

Will Repair New Member

No reason not to. I plan on doing the same thing on SimplyMEPIS.

I was looking at small web servers such as Monkey Web and SQLite but think I'll go with Apache 2, PHP 5, and MySQL because I'm doing this to improve my web site.

4. jacob martin

jacob martin New Member

The Web Server python-script provides HTTP-Servers to browse via a webbrowser through KexiDB or KSpread OpenDocument files.

* Runs embedded in Kexi or KSpread (from the tools=>scripts menu) as well as independent of them (use "krossrunner ~/.kde/share/apps/kexi/scripts/webserver/webserver.py").

* Use your webbrowser to work with Kexi and/or KSpread

* The WebServer instances are running non-blocking in there own Threads in the background.

* Includes an optional PyQt-powered GUI-Editor to modify and manage your webserver settings.

* Modular and flexible architectur.

* This release is identical with http://www.kde-files.org/content/show.php?content=36246
    There is a known bug; iIf the webserver got started from within KSpread to provide access to a ODF file, the webserver blocks if the webserver-dialog got closed (just reopen the dialog via calling Tools=>Scripts=>Websaerver). This is because KSpread and the Webserver are using the same threads currently. That may change in future :)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Translation Self Certification Mortgage Quotes