Web Users and permissions

Discussion in 'General' started by vaio1, Jul 30, 2008.

1. vaio1

vaio1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi folks,

which is the web user who manage the apache?

when I have developed my application I have supposed that If I upload a file in a web5 dir the user owner is apache and not web5.

How can I solve this problem?

Furthermore if I try to install, for instance, Joomla the files installed will have the user: apache and not the user web5. Why?

thanks

2. Darren996

Darren996 New Member

3. vaio1

Hi Darren996,

but if you create a simple uplload form in your web5 user when you upload a file which is the user and which are the permissions?

thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This depends on your server configuration:

if you use mod_php, the file is owned by the apache user. If you use suphp, the file is owned by the administrator of the web.

Generally it is better if a file is owned by the administrator of the web. You can easily make it readable for the apache user by executing a chmod +r on the file in the upload script.

5. vaio1

Hi Till,

yes, it is what I thought. So there is not an automatic way to assign the owner at the uploaded file without the suPHP. Right?

thanks

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

SuPHP is assigning the correct owner, and this is the administrator of the webiste. The apache user is not the correct owner. If you want all files to be owned by the apache user, use mod_php and not suphp.