WebFTP interface?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Richard Foley, Apr 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Richard Foley

Richard Foley Member

I'm trying to offer my customers a more intuitive FTP interface solution than telling them to "use an FTP client", as this confuses some people. For mail, we have squirrelmail/webmail on roundcube. For mysql we have phpmyadmin. For the control panel we have ispConfig :) However, for FTP we have nothing, or at least I haven't found the option in the manual.

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is to use an nginx stanza (similar to webmail etc.) for each website and have my customers use this webftp interface. I apologize in advance if I'm missed the obvious documentation on this, but I've looked and come up blank.

Is there a recommended route to solve this webftp issue?

2. OptimBro

OptimBro Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Richard Foley likes this.
  3. Richard Foley

Richard Foley Member

that looks really handy, Rahul. I even see the link is on the howtoforge, so I must have missed it. Blind as a bat. Thanks very much for the link and tips!

Just one thing. Looking at the docs. in the link you posted, it appears to be that pydio is installed in *each* and *every* website individually.
    Code:
    chown -R web2:client1 webftp
    This would mean, for 10 users, it needs 10 installs of pydio. It's always possible I've missed something obvious, but that can't be right, surely? The idea is to install *one* webftp solution (eg; pydio) and to use the same one for all clients, exactly as roundcube or phpmyadmin is used. The one installation needs to service every user/website on the system.
    Or have I misunderstood the instructions?

R.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

no, you're only installing it once. in the website you've created specifically for the pydio installation.
    you change web2:client1 to match whatever the correct web and client id's are for that webspace.
    they've also chosen to install it by default to /web/webftp although it isn't necessary to install it to a subfolder.

Richard Foley likes this.
  5. Richard Foley

Richard Foley Member

Ok, I think I'm with you. So I install it in one "control" website, and then offer it via the WebFTP URL to all the other website users. They then login under my "control" website to update their own website files.

They cannot update anything under the "control" website, which I think was my confusion.

Many thanks for the helpful tip/s.

R.

6. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

also, just to point out, pydio 5.2.1 is ancient, I've never followed the guide posted here, I have tried 8.2.0
    using instructions from here: https://www.sukalupa.com/blogs/ispconfig-3-file-manager-with-latest-pydio-8-2-0/
    latest versions actually on there is actually 8.2.5, then they rewrote everything, it's now pydio-cells and completely different.
    8.2.0 worked ok, and looked good. i'd be concerned about how long it'll keep working with new php versions.
    also, I did notice problems with multiple simultaneous logins to different accounts, seeing other accounts files/folders but that could have just been due to testing them all from the same computer/ip, possibly browser caching. i'd recommend proper testing from multiple different computers ( I didn't have that option at that time) just to be sure there isn't a problem with that.