webmail access from other domain

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Brett Wilton, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Brett Wilton

Brett Wilton Member

We have a multiserver, centos7.5 running nginx.
    We have https://main.domain:8081/webmail which redirects to roudcube all working with the main.domain currectly.
    On a secondary domain if I try https://secondary.domain:8081/webmail it complains as the SSL certificate is for the main.domain.
    Is there a way to handle have a cert for the secondary domain as well ?
    I was playing with web aliasdomain and having a webmail.secondary.domain redirect to the first which does work but I'd prefer to hide the main.domain:47081 when running from the secondary.domain.
    Any ideas on solving this aspect ?

2. Steinbruch

Steinbruch Member HowtoForge Supporter

I'm not sure I'm getting your point as I have never used a dedicated port to access webmail - it's always https://mailserver.domain/webmail/ for my users. Anyway, I've found in order to properly secure the web access, the easiest way is to create a "website" (even an empty one) with the mailserver's domain name and enable LetsEncrypt. The alias /webmail/ will automatically inherit the certificate.
    Now, if you want to use secondary domain names (like any customers' domain, e.g. https://customer.domain/webmail/ ) you can either add the alias domain to the mailserver's "website" and re-generate the LetsEncrypt certificate so it includes the alias domain(s), or - on a combined mail and web server - just enable LetsEncrypt for the customer anyway as in that case the webmail alias will again inherit the certificate.
    Just btw. I am still trying to figure out if it will be safe to use the mailserver's domain certificate (the LetsEncrypt generated one) as SMTP/POP3/IMAP certificate also - would save the hassle of having to renew that one manually every year.

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

That does work. I do that both on host that runs both websites and e-mail, and another setup with a separate e-mail server. @ahrasis wrote a very good howto with helpful scripts.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You must create certificate for every domain you want to use with https. A certificate can include aliasdomains.
    Like @Steinbruch I wonder why you want to use port numbers?

5. Brett Wilton

Brett Wilton Member

Thanks for your ideas guys.
    The port 8080 is simply the default port on installation if ispconfig and hence why its being used.
    Interesting that you both run it on 80 I assume, this is the apps.vhost.
    We do already run a single mail.client.domain as suggested, I assume for your SSL you are adding ISPConfig subdomain entries for each of your sites to allow the main cert to contains all domains.
    My goal was just to make a clean url either alias or subdomain for each client domain which is easier to remember than the port numbers. Since it was the default I was thinking that was how everyone ran it.
    I was trying to use an alias with a proxy and directive to hide the ugly url.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Port 80 is the default vhost of the Linux system, the apps vhost is port 80, and when you install the webmail package of the Linux Distribution, then it is available on port 80 by default, this is not related to ISPConfig.

7. Brett Wilton

Brett Wilton Member

thanks till, was thinking it was the default like indicated in the multiserver tutorials e.g. ISPConfig Port [8080].

php -q install.php

Select language (en,de) [en]: <-- en
    Installation mode (standard,expert) [standard]: <-- expert
    Full qualified hostname (FQDN) of the server, eg server2.domain.tld [web.example.tld]: <-- web.example.tld
    MySQL server hostname [localhost]: <-- localhost
    MySQL root username [root]: <-- root
    MySQL root password []: <-- Enter your MySQL root password here
    MySQL database to create [dbispconfig]: <-- dbispconfig
    MySQL charset [utf8]: <-- utf8
    Shall this server join an existing ISPConfig multiserver setup (y,n) [n]: <-- n
    Configure Mail (y,n) [y]: <-- n
    Configure Jailkit (y,n) [y]: <-- y
    Configure FTP Server (y,n) [y]: <-- y
    Configure DNS Server (y,n) [y]: <-- n
    Configure Apache Server (y,n) [y]: <-- y
    Configure Firewall Server (y,n) [y]: <--y
    Install ISPConfig Web-Interface (y,n) [y]: <--y
    ISPConfig Port [8080]: <-- 8080

8. till

The webmail installation and webmail port is not related to the ISPConfig installation in any way. What you posted in #7 is the ISPConfig installation and ISPConfig port.

9. Brett Wilton

Brett Wilton Member

Yes true, clearly doing too many things at once.
    The 8081 port is defined in the apps.vhost section of the ISPConfig page.
    I think I had tried changing the apps.vhost file manually but nginx was complaining on startup with server_name from memory.

10. till

Ok, when you're using nginx then webmail is on port 8081, sorry, I missed that info in your first port. The apps vhost is a port based vhost without a server name, so it requires it's own dedicated port. If you want to run it on a shared port, then you'll have to add a serverName line.