Webmail with ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jbryner, May 30, 2009.

1. jbryner

jbryner New Member

I am a little new to all of this so please bear with me, I am coming from a windows server nightmare, and looking to ISPConfig to ease some of the pain.

I have followed the perfect server setup, and everything came off as advertised, I am quite happy with the overall setup and usability of ISPC 3, there are a couple of things I have not been able to figure out.

With the install of the webmail (squirrel mail) it is reached by going to "www.domain.com/webmail"

in my case its reachable with the ip main ip address of the machine

xxx.xxx.x.xx/webmail/ and all is good.

My configuration is with multiple domains, and I am hoping that there's a way to get to the webmail for each domain withough having them come through the main ip /webmail to get there.

My config is as follows

domain1.com
    domain2.com
    domain3.com

and they are all run through 1 ip address, and the vhosts send the request to the proper domain.

domain1.com/webmail/ gets a 404, as does domain2 and 3.

as of now, the only way to get to the webmail login is to go to the main ip of the server, and login form there.

I know that I didn't do a great job of explaining this, but any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

J

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats the correct behaviour. You can access webmail only by ip ind the default setup and not by the domain of your websites as webmail is not installed in your websites.

If you want to use webmail in a subdirectory of your sites, you can either install a webmail application in this subdirectory or you create a symlinkt to a centrally installed webmail application.

3. jbryner

jbryner New Member

Thanks Till, i have been playing with symlinks, and it seems to work "kind of".

I have 3 clients, and the site data is found in the clientx/webx/web folders. I added a symlink from the squirrelmail webmail folder to the web folders, and for client1 it worked just fine. For the client2 and 3 it would not load, and gave a "forbidden" error page.

I checked the permissions on each symlink, and they were all identical. Still a little confused, but think I am making progress.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

J

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

An thats the reason why ispconfig uses webmail only trough the vhost by default :) Apache is preventing the access to webmail for security reasons if your website does not use mod_php. If you use suphp, or suexec you will get blocked.

5. jbryner

jbryner New Member

So to ensure I am grasping it, it won't work with suphp or suexec, but will with mod_php?

The other way I was thinking about trying it was with a new website "webmail.site1.com" though I think that wold require an additional DNS entry with the external DNS provider.