Webmin installation without desktop

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jreid08, Aug 8, 2006.

1. jreid08

jreid08 New Member

Hi, I'm a newbie to Linux and I'd really prefer to run the server without a desktop. I noticed that there is documentation on installing Webmin on Ubuntu 6.06 located at http://www.howtoforge.com/node/1388 and I was wondering if anyone knew of similar instruction for installing Webmin with the normal LAMP installation. I would prefer not having KDE, Gnome, X and so on running on a server since I believe it poses a risk for a machine that will be public.

Any help would be appreciated,
    JR

2. guardian

guardian Member

Basically you can use the same approach.
    1) Log in like root with ssh
    2) Download webmin:
    Code:
    wget -c http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/webadmin/webmin-1.290.tar.gz
    3) Follow the installation info at webmin website:

Code:
    When unpacked, the distribution creates a subdirectory called webmin-1.290 under the current directory. Since recent versions of Webmin support installation into a directory of your choice, you can pick a destination directory such as /usr/local/webmin. Then run the following commands in the directory containing the webmin-1.290.tar.gz file :

[root@yourhost /tmp]# gunzip webmin-1.290.tar.gz
    [root@yourhost /tmp]# tar xf webmin-1.290.tar
    [root@yourhost /tmp]# cd webmin-1.290
    [root@yourhost /tmp/webmin-1.290]# ./setup.sh /usr/local/webmin

When the setup.sh script is run, it will ask the following questions :

* The Webmin configuration directory
          The directory in which all Webmin configuration information is stored. This is now separate from the Webmin install directory, so that configurations are saved when you upgrade.
          If you have previously installed Webmin and use the same config directory, this will be the only question asked.

* The Webmin log directory
          The location for pid and webserver log files.

* The full path to perl on your system
          This is usually /usr/bin/perl or /usr/local/bin/perl

* Your Operating system type
          In Webmin versions 0.990 and above, this question is only asked if your operating system cannot be automatically determined.
          The setup script will display a list of supported systems. If your OS is not on the list, you can try choosing the closest match. However this may not work properly, and may even cause serious problems!

* Web server port
          The TCP port that the Webmin web server will listen on.

* Web server login and password
          The login name and password used to acess the Webmin web server.

* Web server hostname
          The hostname of the machine on which Webmin will run.

* Use SSL
          This question will only be asked if your system has the Perl SSL libraries installed. See below for more..

* Start Webmin at boot time
          If your OS is supported, Webmin will ask if you want to have it automatically started at boot time.

Assuming you answer all the above questions correctly, the Webmin web server will be started and the setup script will give you the URL to go to. Enter this URL into your browser, and you will be prompted for the login and password that you choose in setup.sh. Once you have logged in your browser should show the main Webmin page, on which is an icon for each module you have installed.

If you installed Webmin by specifying an installation directory parameter to setup.sh as the instructions above show, the original webmin-1.290 directory can now be safely deleted. 

3. jreid08

jreid08 New Member

Thank you Guardian!

I'm running into a new issue related to Webmin. Every time I restart my machine I have to go through and re-install Webmin. Did I do something wrong or is it a matter of starting webmin and if so - what's the command line for restarting it?

Thank you everyone for the help!
    JR

4. nigel

nigel New Member

Are you creating the webmin directory in /usr? from what you describe it sound like you are creating it in /tmp

5. comedit

comedit New Member

Described install should work ( i have 2 machines running like this)

I think the command of the tmp directory could be right because I have installed it in the past on two machines without any problem !

I placed my file in my home directory (logged in as root) and installed from there.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you're installing from /tmp: /tmp is cleaned on Debian and Ubuntu whenever you reboot the server, so that could be the problem.

7. lfloyd

lfloyd New Member

Unable to access setup.sh

I have tried set the path variable. I can't my shell to recognize the setup.sh, do
    not understand how to navigate in shell my cygwin has dospath of

c:/Progfiles/jdk-1_5_0_06/cygwin/bin/usr/

But if I switch to this directory cygwin can only find some of the files. My PATH in cygwin looks horrible, because everyone time I have reinstalled or installed new features the program put more paths so all of my old paths are still there I can't find out how to start over with a new path, I can't understand why windows can see the setup.sh file in the /usr/bin/ directory, but gywin can't.

Only some of the commands work in cygwin. Apache is running it is in
    c:progFiles/jdk-1_5_0_06/cygwin/bin/usr/apache/ or /usr/bin/apache/

but I can't configure it.

I need cygwin bash help for dummies, 1st all old paths must go I can't just keep adding new paths, second I need to know what my home directory should be, and if necessary get up setup.sh file that will work to configure webadmin, my webmin-1.290 has dospath of

c:/ProgFiles/jdk-1_5_0_06/cygwin/usr/bin/webmin-1.290/

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Why don't you install a real Linux system, e.g. in VMware?