Webmin

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by SamTzu, Aug 23, 2019.

1. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Webmin "System and Server Status" don't seem to be able to restart a service when it goes down even though it detects the "down state".
    Any1 know a solution for this?

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes. Use ISPConfig. ;)

SamTzu likes this.
  3. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

I still use Webmin for some simple stuff like Non Caching Bind servers and Browser based SSH. TurnkeyLinux uses primarily Webmin on their control panels for different pre-made LXC based containers. I'm still looking for a DHCP6 container for LXC. Heads up if you see 1.

4. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

Be aware, that using webmin can be a severe security issue:
    Code:
    http://www.webmin.com/exploit.html
    (sorry for code block, I'm no allowed to post links :D)

Their repository got hacked and they delivered malware and they don't know how. Then they reverted their repository and got hacked again and delivered malware. Now they reverted a second time... I would not trust them any more and don't use it productively.

5. ahrasis

Alternatively, you can use monit to monitor and restart relevant services.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  6. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Mostly it's useful because of the "System and Server Status" options. Easy way to setup "mini" monitoring and alert system.
    I use stuff like "Maximum mail queue size." When Postfix mailque grows larger then 1000 emails Webmin sends an alert to SendClick which sends me a SMS text message.
    Easy, cheap. Just like me :)

7. ahrasis

So long you can live with vulnerabilities or know how to fix them yourself, yeah why not.