website auto alias

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by zutgorak, Apr 2, 2014.

1. zutgorak

zutgorak New Member

Ok, I might be a little daft when it comes to this, but i m trying to get the website auto alias to work.

I found some information on it (mostly that it exists) here and there on the web, however, I cant seem to make heads or tails from it, it lacks a little
    information for me to cipher it out. Let me give you a short scenario.

ISPconfig is installed on a single server, for simplicitys sake
    and it is using the domain xxxxxx.tld

Someone wants to have a site on my server, but wants to see if
    their site works before pointing the DNS. Now, lets say they have the
    domain yyyyy.tld

What should I have in "website auto alias" to be able to see
    the site using the url "yyyyy.tld.xxxxx.tld" ?

Assume i have *.xxxxx.tld already pointed to my server using an A pointer in the DNS servers

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you want to ensure that you see the site exactly as it is displayed after the dns switch, then use this method:

http://www.faqforge.com/linux/contr...ess-a-namebased-website-without-a-dns-record/

The auto alias domain works as well, as long as the code of the website that you use does not has a hardcoded url inside or tries to switch back to the original domain like e.g. magento shops are doing it.

use:

[website_domain].xxxxx.tld

and ensure that you have a wildcard dns record for *.xxxxx.tld pointing to the ip of your server.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Member

If I have a www.xxxx.tld website with option "Auto-Subdomain www" I should not switch that to "Auto-Subdomain *" because the above will not work and it will allways show www.xxxxx.tld website, right?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015