Website on second ip not displaying

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by cvgeeks, Jun 8, 2010.

1. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

I have sucessfully setup 2 ips on my Fedora 12 ispconfig 2 server.
    I have added the second IP to ispconfig in the:
    Server Control Panel ->Management ->Settings ->IP List

I can ping the ip, I can go to the website using the ip but not the website name. I have added the website and have setup the dns to point to the second IP. Cant figure out what can be going on here.

Do I need to add the second ip to the hosts file with its own unique hostname?

Any help would be appreciate..:)

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Can you post the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig
    ? What's in Vhost_ispconfig.conf?

3. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

Fixed thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. falko

Can you check if the DNS record really points to the correct IP? You can check that by running
    Code:
    dig yourdomain.com
    dig www.yourdomain.com

5. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

Thank you for you time and help I am very greatful.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  6. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

Ok, I just went to godaddy and looked at my DNS HOSTS I modified my webhost04 to point to both ip's in ISPConfig. I'll know if this works soon.

Thanks

7. falko

8. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

The funny thing about this is that my servers have always worked until I tried adding a second ip. I have always known there to be issues since I was pointing my servers to my ISP instead of to themselves but I could never get any help in resolving that issue which has led me now to this issue.

Once I point my servers to themselves they stop working and I can no longer reach them but as soon as I point them to my isp I'm all good.
    I need to resolve this before I can resolve the second IP issue.

Any suggestions?

9. falko

10. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

11. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

Ok, all fixed and figured out thanks to your "Glue Records" comment...

Basically I had no Reverse Pointer Records in my DNS, Nor were my name server pointing at each other using A records. Now it's all fixed and running better than ever.

Now I need to revisit my original problem of hosting using multiple IP's on one server. I think maybe now it will work. I'll repost when I figure that one out.

12. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

Ok, all fixed. All my problems are solved and more. I have fixed all my name servers and all my resolution problems have since gone away. My two ips are now working and my customer is up and online.

Thanks again falko you saved the day. btw I installed ispconfig three to check it out and I'll soon be upgrading all my servers to the new cp. Looks great much better than 2.