Website path/symlinks in Migration

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by TonyG, Sep 22, 2023.

Tags:
  1. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

When I first installed ISPConfig v3.2.2, I chose folder paths that seemed to suit my purposes better than the defaults. After doing that I got some flak here about the environment being non-standard. We have the option to change these path names, I used the option. Ever since the initial (minor) admonishment, I've been worried about upgrades that might not be kind to non-default "options". But I'm about to do a Migration and I need to come back to this.

My current configuration for my primary Web server includes:
    Code:
    Website basedir: /var/www
    Website path: /var/www/clouds/cloud_[client_id]/site_[website_id]
    Website symlinks: /var/www/sites/by_name/[website_domain]:/var/www/clouds/cloud_[client_id]/sites/[website_domain]
    Make relative symlinks: no
    Network Filesystem: no
    Website auto alias: [client_username]_[client_id]_[website_id].domain.tld

The defaults for ISPConfig include this:

Code:
    Website basedir: /var/www
    Website path: /var/www/clients/client[client_id]/web[website_id]
    Website symlinks: /var/www/[website_domain]/:/var/www/clients/client[client_id]/[website_domain]/
    Website auto alias: none

As I migrate to 3.2.11 over Ubuntu 22, I believe the Migration Tool will save relative paths on the source system and restore to relative paths on the target. So my files under /var/www/clouds/cloud_[client_id]/site_[website_id] will be relocated to /var/www/clients/client[client_id]/web[website_id]. I'm fine with this.

If I add a symlink (/var/www/sites/by_name/[website_domain]) to the new system, will the Migration Tool create the symlinks for sites? I believe so.

My understanding is that the Migration Tool uses source system data to drive a target system to create new resources and then load data - the data does not come over as-is into absolute locations.

Is that understanding correct?

Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can use that option but must be aware that this might give you trouble later being a non-standard setup.

That's not the case. The migration tool imports everything into a clean and working standard setup. if you want your new system to use these non-standard paths, then you must set up the new system like this before doing the import.

This assumption is not correct. The Migration tool does not copy over things one to one. It imports data and config and uses the settings of the target ISPConfig system. Paths can change during this process, depending on the settings of the new ISPConfig system and also depending on the fact if the new system is empty or if it contains already sites and mail accounts, as the Migration Tool can also merge system, do partial migrations etc.

3. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

We're definitely not reading this the same way and I believe it's my fault. I'll be more clear:

source Website path: /var/www/clouds/ (custom, ignored)
    target Website path: /var/www/clients/ (default, used for Migrated sites)

Everything gets Migrated to the target's folders: default, standard, supported, everyone is happy.
    Correct?