Weird email bounce??

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by rob_morin, Feb 10, 2017.

1. rob_morin

rob_morin Member

So my wife wants me to create a forward(or list) of email addresses that she can send to for company wide mailings. IE [email protected], so she would send an email to [email protected] and 100 people would get this email.

However her company email guy will not create a mailing list for her for whatever reason, so I said i can create a froward using one of my domains instead and just forward to all the emails she wants for her company.

Seems simple enough, but it does not work?? This is what is happening...
    I create a forward named, company_name@another_domain.com, I added the list of users, all with @domain.ca, so [email protected], [email protected] and my email address [email protected], as a test recipient.

Now as a test i send an email to company_name@another_domain.com from my personal email([email protected]), which uses an external mail server or any other mail server other than domain.ca's exchange server , yahoo, google, whatever, all works as expected, everyone get the emails just fine. See logs below....

Feb 10 07:52:44 mail2 postfix/pipe[31411]: 4E4C5B0013C: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<company_name@another_domain.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.3, delays=0.04/0/0/0.26, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)

Feb 10 07:52:45 mail2 postfix/smtp[31582]: 4E4C5B0013C: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<company_name@another_domain.com>, relay=mail.domain.ca[38.111.xx.xx]:25, delay=1.1, delays=0.04/0.03/0.45/0.57, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 Ok: queued as 5EA90115035B)

Now if my wife sends an email to the same forward, company_name@another_domain.com from her internal (microsoft exchange, which is the mx for domain.ca)server, all the emails bounce, except the one to me, [email protected]???????? If she sends an email using gmail from the same computer it works???

For troubleshooting purposes, i revised the list of emails and kept it short having one email for [email protected], in this case [email protected] and my email [email protected], See below for logs...

Feb 9 15:24:07 mail2 postfix/pipe[10636]: A1B6FB0012B: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<company_name@another_domain.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.36, delays=0.08/0/0/0.28, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)

Feb 9 15:24:07 mail2 postfix/smtp[10858]: A1B6FB0012B: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<company_name@another_domain.com>, relay=mail.domain.ca[38.111.xx.xx]:25, delay=0.67, delays=0.08/0/0.42/0.16, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host mail.domain.ca[38.111.xx.xx] said: 550 Sender email address rejected (in reply to RCPT TO command))

So "550 Sender email address rejected" which sener?? [email protected] or the forward of company_name@another_domain.com ???
    my wife Paula has not problems sending emails to anywhere with the same exchange server.
    Is this weird error caused by some stupid config on the exchange server?
    Any help very much appreciated! :)
    Thanks and have a great weekend!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess that's some config on the exchange server which does not like the way you send email to it.

3. rob_morin

rob_morin Member

but its only when the exchange server itself is used as smtp, and then still at that any emails goign to @mydomain.com still it just doesn't like its own domain name... its a very strange thing...

4. rob_morin

rob_morin Member

But how does exchange know whether its a forward or direct email?? And it only happens when sent from the exchange server not any other server?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You might have to contact the Microsoft support to ask them why exchange blocks the emails in that case.