Weird problem with serial console when ttyS1 is listed first in menu.lst

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by NewtownGal, Mar 22, 2010.

1. NewtownGal

NewtownGal New Member

Hello.

I have two presumably identical machines running Ubuntu 8.04.1 Server. I'm having a weird problem with the ttyS1 serial console on one of them. I have copied files from the working machine to the problematic machine so both presumably have the exact same configuration. I've copied /boot/grub/menu.lst, /etc/default.d/ttyS1, and /etc/securetty.

This is not just a problem with the serial hardware or PC client, because I have two entries in menu.lst and one works and one does not on the problematic machine. I'm using hyperterminal on a PC as a client. Both entries work fine on the good machine using the same PC as a client.

I have two entries in menu.lst to select which console is primary and which console is secondary. On the problematic machine, I can login on ttyS1 if this text is used at the end of the kernel line: console=tty0 console=ttyS1,115200n8, but not when this text is used: console=ttyS1,115200n8 console=tty0. On the machine that works, I can login on ttyS1 regardless of which entry I choose, the only difference is which console the boot text is displayed on. (There's a speed problem with boot text and shutdown text, but that is covered in a different post.)

I've checked and double-checked the files and how-to's but I can't figure out why one machine works fine with either sequence, but one machine only works with one. Can you help ?

Thank you.

-- NewtownGal

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Is the hardware the same on both machines?

3. NewtownGal

NewtownGal New Member

Reply to thread

Yes, I'm using the same mini-itx mainboard, an Intel D945GSEJT, in both systems.

I discovered that if I add the -L option in ttyS1 in the system that is giving me trouble, that it now allows me to login on the serial console regardless of whether the serial console is listed before or after tty0, which is the main console.

But the -L option is not required on the other system. Why don't the two systems act the same ?

Also, why is the console listed as tty1, not tty0, when I login on the main console ?

-- NewtownGal