What are the potential and abilities of a MTA (postfix, exim, …)?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Roman Padawan, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Roman Padawan

Roman Padawan New Member

Dear community,

I'm trying to learn how to set a server using Postfix, this is a very complex craft and I can't grasp yet the full potential of this tool. I would need to know if it can do these actions :

John Doe has a gmail address : john.doe@gmail, and a mydomain address : john.doe@mydomain
    Jane Smith has a gmail address: jane.smith@gmail, and a mydomain address : jane.smith@mydomain

The process I need to do is : John.doe@gmail sends an email to jane.smith@mydomain

The MTA filters the sender address : john.doe has a mydomain address = ok
    And the sender's recipient : john.doe is allowed to email jane.doe@mydomain (meaning John Doe can't email all the mydomain addresses, some are restricted for him) = ok = my MTA accept the email

(Rewritting) The sender is changed (envelop and header) for john.doe@mydomain
    (Rewritting) The recipient is changed for jane.smith@gmail

Jane.smith@gmail receives a message from john.doe@mydomain

Can I set up such a complex process with Postfix or Exim (or another MTA ?) ?

Thank you very much for your help and expertise !

2. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Short answer is: yes of course you can do that with postfix ( not sure about exim ).
    But it may be some additional work - ISPConfig doesn't have such a feature out of the box afaik.
    Maybe this link will help you
    http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html