What are the settings for ms outlook for webmail???

Discussion in 'General' started by grandpagenocide, Jul 30, 2007.

1. grandpagenocide

grandpagenocide ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Ok now that I have the emails working, what do i give the client for settings for OUTLOOK?
    dns settings for mail.chrichlow.com is <ipaddress>, I have ispconfig set on http not https, the accounts work fine through Uebimaui webmail, but i cant get it working with OUTLOOK---
    OK I have outlook working but it wont send mail to outside clients, only clients on my server??? from the webclient it sends mail to anyone else just fine

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

In Outlook.

1) Tools > E-mail accounts > Add a new e-mail account > POP3.
    Enter your name, e-mail addres.
    2) In POP3 enter: mail.chrichlow.com
    (a) If your providers is okay with using other SMTP servers, add: mail.chrichlow.com
    (b) If your provider does not like you to use your own SMTP, your need to add the SMTP server from your provider (ISP)
    3) In user name enter: webNR_name (it's the one that you seen in ISPconfig under the ISPmanager > the-domain > tab User & Email
    4) Still in Outlook, select [more settings], and the tab Outgoing Server select 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication'
    Now if you are okay with using your own SMTP select 'use same settings as my incoming mail server'.
    If not (2 b), select 'Logon using', and enter the data from your ISP email account.

Please note that a lot of providers will not let you use your own SMTP server. This might be the case in your setup as your are an (I think) Optimum Online user.

3. grandpagenocide

that did it, thanks for the help

4. larwilliams

larwilliams New Member

If they block SMTP on port 25 (which alot do), A quick workaround is to simply add the following to /etc/postfix/master.cf

Code:
    26        inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
    Then open port 26 on your firewall and use "26" as the Outgoing SMTP port in Outlook. Works well here :) May work for you as well, as most ISPs don't block port 26.

5. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

In that case you might also try the official SMTPD port 587 (as defined in RFC4409)

6. larwilliams

larwilliams New Member

That is good as well, but keep in mind some ISPs use port 587 for their own customers and block it for everyone else (same as port 25). The solution I posted is a good fallback just in case.

7. grandpagenocide

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help you guys have given me in this forum.