What do you, the users think of ISPConfig3..

Discussion in 'General' started by Nachogrande, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Nachogrande

Nachogrande New Member

Hey all.. I'm currently debating between deploying ISPConfig3 and ISPCP. This one seems more complete, offering more services and features, but also has a 6 page instruction manual, and that's just to get you started installing ispconfig. The other package, has one screen of instructions to get ya going. Obviously, to a non-master level linux user, that is a concern, and I'm not even certain how accurate the manual is (meaning, will I come across a lot of troubles following the instructions, are they accurate, straight-forward?).

I'm looking for your opinions. Is it worth the extra effort, have you tried other packages, why do you like this one better? FWIW, this would be getting installed on Fedora 11. Thanks for taking the time to chime in!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you compare the installation manuals then you see that the ispconfig guide also includes the basic operation system installation part from inserting the Linux cd / dvd into the drive while the ispcp guide skipps all these steps and assumes that you have already some linux knowledge to do this and that you know how to partition the system to run as server etc. So the ispconfig guide is just much more complete which results in a longer guide of course.

If you are not a linux expert, then better use debian as its much easier to install ispconfig on it then on fedora as fedora lacks a lot of packages which have to be compiled manually then.

3. Nachogrande

Nachogrande New Member

Oh, really? So the Fedora install is more complicated than others? That kinda sux cuz I'm a Fedora man, lol.. None of these things that need to be compiled are in the repo? (rpms..)?

So other than the flavor difference, still hoping to catch wind of what you guys think of the project.. 88 views and one comment doesn't speak that well of things, lol :( Course, like with most projects, I suppose the majority of people who are using it daily aren't on here, they are happily using it..

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can e.g. compare the download statistics of ispcp and ispconfig at sourceforge as both projects use sourceforge for their downloads if you like to know how widespread the projects are.

Year to date download numbers from sourceforge:

ISPConfig 3: 125.730 Downloads
    ISPCP: 65.201 Downloads

and in the ispconfig downloads number the updates are not included as they get served directly from the ispconfig.org server and not from sourceforge.