What kind of backup options do you guys chose?

Discussion in 'General' started by mmdollar, Oct 22, 2016.

1. mmdollar

mmdollar Member

I just got a old pc and wondering how does one approach this to make it a backup server?
    I want it to backup mySQL and user websites.

2. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I would mount the pc to the ispconfig-server using sshfs to the backup-dir and set "backup dir is a mount) in the system-config. Create /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/backup_dir_mount.sh as a a simple bash to mount over ssh, chown root.root and chmod 700.
    You can also create /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/backup_dir_umount.sh with the same permissions to umount the pc when the backups are done.

Jesse Norell and mmdollar like this.
  3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

@florian030, any tips/differences when doing that on a multi-server setup? I assume you must setup the mount/unmount scripts on each server; is it safe/recommended to use the exact same mount source on each server? Eg. the backups will be put in a client and/or site hierarchy, and filenames do not conflict (so mail server can backup mail data, right beside the web server backups)? (In checking our setup, there don't appear to be any backups created by the mail server at all, which I'll have to dig in to .. backup dir is set, and plugin enabled...)

Thanks

4. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I did not create backups on both servers in a mirror-setup. I don't need the same data twice, so i set the backup-dir to $empty on the slave-server. If you want to write backups on a master and it's slaves, i would use the same remote-space but with diffent folders.
    i.e. sshfs user@remote:/backup/master /var/backup and sshfs user@remote:/backup/slave /var/backup.
    Web-Backups are store in web, mailbackups in mail so you can use the same mount-point for web and mail.
    You need the script on every server, that should mount the remote-space (and the "backupdir is mount", too ;) ).
    If you see no mailbackups, did you enabe the backups for the mailbox (you can not do this for the domain).