What packages i need to install when I just want to forward emails?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by lebaux, Jun 7, 2018.

1. lebaux

lebaux New Member

I use my server only for website hosting. I would like to use the mail portion of ISPConfig just to redirect mails to other gmails. When I was not using ISPConfig, all I needed was postifix and properly configured /etc/postfix/virtual file. Since I am already using ISPConfig, I figured I might as well use its GUI, but for the love of all mighty I can’t get it work. I based my installation on Perfect debian 9 tutorial. I don’t want to have own SMTP, POP3, no Roundcube, no antispam, no nothing. All I need is to forward the mail. Also the websites use php mail() to send mail, but I assume this is included in php packages.

It seems that installing these packages is not enough (and then configuring ISPConfig on top of that):
    Code:
    apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql postfix-doc
    Lastly, if I just forward those emails, do i need to use DKIM, will it even work? My appologies for silly questions, setting up mail servers was always bit of a weakness for me.

What I am missing? Do i need to add dovecot? Thanks for your time and answer!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

ISPConfig manual has chapter on installing a separete e-mail server. I assume those packages mentioned there are needed on a working e-mail server.
    I would install the email following the howto, maybe turn off some feature if it not to be used.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You'll need to install amavis to use the configuration ISPConfig creates; otherwise you'll have to do some custom postfix config to not try to filter it through amavis.

4. lebaux

lebaux New Member

Thanks for a prompt reply! I was really trying to avoid using amavis, as I pretty much don’t care about the contents of the emails and I run into issues on my previous server. This looks like it is going to be more complex than I imagined.

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can install all mail packages from the tutorial, then just select a very permissive policy in spam filter settings for the domain