What Virtualization solution should I go for?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by stefanos, May 10, 2017.

1. stefanos

stefanos Member

Hi,
    I have a Dell 2950 III with 32G ram. I don't know if I should install Esxi 5.5 or go for a headless server with something like Virtualbox.
    The server is sitting at home connected to my ADSL line. I am thinking for management reasons the Vitrualbox is probably easier.

In the past I used Debian with Vmware server 2.

I was looking for your ideas and experience on this.
    If I go for a headless server what would you use for the base OS (Debian, Ubuntu etc..) and what Virtual Software (vmware, Virtual box etc...)

Kind Regards
    Stephen

2. elmacus

elmacus Active Member

Check out Proxmox.
    Debian special built and KVM.

3. vk3heg

vk3heg Member

1. Proxmox
    2. Esxi free (Requires a windoes box for manage the thing. One advanage is it can be installed to a USB memory stick.)

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

elmacus likes this.
  5. Tuumke

Tuumke Active Member

Never heard of Proxmox, but looks nice :)
    I use VMWare ESXi 6.5. You can use the webclient interface for most stuff, if you have another windows machine in the network, you can use vSphere Client to manage it, but it's limited.

6. loonatik

loonatik New Member

Few years ago I tried Promox, EXSi then Citrix Xenserver and stuck with it since. Off top, I don't remember what the reason(s) was, just want to mention it to your list.

7. tivanov

tivanov New Member

You can use Virtualizor or SolusVM for web-interface and KVM for backend. If you no need web interface KVM+libvirt.

8. For xen based virtulization you have choice of Citrix. KVM virtualization with Virtualizor also another choice.