What your favorite text editor?

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by MaybeLarry, Jun 10, 2021.

1. MaybeLarry

MaybeLarry New Member

As the title states. What is your daily driver and why? Just want to hear what others think. Thanks!

2. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

vi/vim: It is available on every linux machine.

3. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

vi, not really a favourite as such and with a steep learning curve, but like @Steini86 i know it's always going to be on a server, so it's what i always end up using, so much so i keep finding myself typing :w, :q! and :wq in other editors... :oops:

and i absolutely hate emacs, don't know why, just never been able to get on with it.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Me too, I always type :x when using nano instead of vi *lol*

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

After I knew nano, I prefer using it until now, as it is very user friendly compared to vi.

6. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Emacs. Been using microEmacs first, then full Emacs. I know how to use vim if nothing else is available. On Debian GNU/Linux command editor brings up a sensible editor (usually nano).

7. GraceFisher

GraceFisher New Member

emacs is the most flexible and versatile text editor compared to other...
    But the personal configuration of emacs is and will continue to be inherently just a big pile of disparate code, and the best way to deal with it is to leave it as it is...

8. Chris_UK

Chris_UK Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

nano, or if im feeling naughty and have a desktop...

sudo nautilus > browse > gedit

If we are talking coding..
    For a long time it was notepad, then phpedit then something else, Switched to linux. Netbeans, recently I have just picked up VS Code, took me a little while to work my way around it, but I like how easy its extendible and some of its basic functions are just awesome. (switch between files in a single click from the folder tree, option to leave open files in settings).

So there are a few, I prefer an IDE like netbeans or vs code, those are my daily drivers just not for single file edits.

Never got to grips with VI, nano is far less complicated.

9. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I simply use notepad++ for coding in windows, the best lightweight editor so far.

10. Chris_UK

Chris_UK Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

WOW, oh my days! You know that "and another". I couldnt recall the name, it was the first one after notepad, I think I went to it because of the line ending in notepad messing with php3. Oh man that was certainly some time back.

Nope can't have been me.

#IamNOOB