Whats Needed for install of ispCP on a debian OS from scratch

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by husskii, Jan 4, 2010.

1. husskii

husskii Member

Hi guys I've been looking for the ideal control panel, a free equivilant to cPanel that to setup on a debian 5.0 lenny server, so that I may create my website and host it from home. at the moment Im using a hosting company but would like to create my own version from home. & ideally I would like a website were customers would have to register to my site, and have some sort of ticket system where customers can place orders send support tickets, make payments etc.
    From what Ive read I think ispCP an answer to my needs, and I just wanted to know what sort of debian setup would I need to install ispCP on. like would I need to setup a debian LAMP server and then install ispCP or am I way off and would I need a different setup.
    Ideally a tutorial that covers the setup from scratch would be great, but if not then advise on what's needed would help too...

Also I have no experience with raid and I currently have 2x HDD's on the server, ideally I would like to have both HDD's combined to make 1 huge home directory. If I can also get some advise or a tutorial to accomplish this project, that would be great.

I attempted ispconfig3 aka "The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 3]" but Im not sure if it offers what I need, and prefferable I would like to have some sort of website wizard install option, like on my current host. were u follow a few clicks and you have your website ready for modification.

Thanks in advance
    huss

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. gabak

gabak New Member

3. husskii

husskii Member

Hi gabak thanks for the info I think gnupanel could be a keeper I have a few more question which I hope you dnt mind :)
    Im pretty much a beginner in the website industry and I appreciated your patience

what I want to use gnupanel for is to manage my domain / subdomains and host my websites etc, will I need to setup my server as vitual servers, 1 VPS having the admin interface and then the 2nd vps having the user interface, or would I be able to host my website from the admin interface on its own.

also ideally I would like to have applications setup for example, atm Im using a hosting company which offers cPanel and I have tools such as website templates, website builder, 1 click install website restore, setup email accounts, webmail account etc.
    I also want to setup some sort of ticket system where were customers can click on a product and it will lead them to, I guess checkout where they can make payments.

The aim of this project is to move away from the company that hosts my site and setup my own at home. I had a play with all 3 versions [admin, reseller, user] which one of the 3 would be best suited to meet my needs.

also do you know of any tutorials to help install, atm Im tossing up between ispCP and gnupanel as they both seem to be the same in my opinion except for the fact I noticed with gnupanel it has an extra tool to except payments where I didnt see any tools for payments in ispCP, but Im looking for what will be easier to setup, and Im having trouble finding any howto's like howtoforge have, for say there perfect server tutorials :)

Thank you for all the help,

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. gabak

gabak New Member

look first of all you need an optical internet connection otherwise it wont be reliable to have your own hosting.
    If you want to have your own hosting you need to have a lot of things in order to make it work. (and being reliable)
    Regarding to all of those questions you asked me , i never installed them but i know ppl who are using cpanel and gnupanel.
    in the past i had WAMP for windows to have my own hosting. just one site and for me to keep it simple.
    there is other appls called ISPconfig , that you should check it out.
    of course dont you have to have an static ip too.
    good server , ups , etc

5. husskii

husskii Member

Hi gabak
    Thanks for the advise, my isp isnt an issue, I am lucky to have a static IP and have all the available ports open to be able to host my own website from home. also I have the option to have my own.
    all I pretty much need is the right tools to do so, I did have a look at ispconfig and actually installed it, but was having issues with it, like after setup of ispconfig, I would have trouble with setting up elgg and really had no clue on how to install other apps..

I was hoping for something that would give me the freedom of cPanel but without the cost. Im just starting up and funds are quiet low, so paying for something like cPanel would be virtually impossible. If ispconf was able to instal a software like say website builder, that would do the trick, because at the moment Im playing around woth adobe dream weaver but its very hard and taking too much time. its took me 2whole days just to get the banner design, so imagine how long it would take for the whole site lol..

but ye maybe if i could get ispconfig with a website builder that would be great, then I can say purchase whmcs for about $20 p/m and that would look after the ticket system.

but ye I couldnt even get elgg to work properlly, like I installed and set it up, but when it came to [​IMG]
    something went wrong and it wouldnt except my database details, and from there I wasnt able to continue. I attempted the setup at least 4x maybe more and allways I would get stuck there.
    Im going to reattempt it today I guess, but ye it just doesnt have the freedom of installing software like website builder, well not that i know of anyway...

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

7. husskii

husskii Member

hi falko
    thanks mate but thats the tutorial i followed after i completed youre tutorial "The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 3]" nut for some reason it wont accept my config of the database and instead of getting [​IMG] I get an error, about the database not being installed correctly or something along them lines.. Im actually reattempting now for the 5th time, and if I get the same error again ill post a screen shot.

oh I should add the ispconfig i use is a newer version then the one in the tutorial, which is 3.0.1.6 and jailkit 2.10, so some features shown in the screen shots of the features in ispconfig (which are also ticked to use) in the tutorial "Installing Elgg On An ISPConfig 3 System" are not in the newer version of ispconfig I have.

could that be the reason?

8. falko

Can you post the exact error message?

9. husskii

husskii Member

apache2apache2: could not reliably determine the servers FQN?

Hi falko I went back and reinstalled ""perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig3""

and now when I tried to follow the tutorial ""installing-elgg-on-an-ispconfig-3-system""

I couldnt get past the first step,
    http://images.howtoforge.com/images/elgg_ispconfig3_debian_etch/big/5.jpg[/ing]
    I setup as instructed and when I tried to go to my url, so I can continue to install elgg, the error is
    [quote]Server not found
    Firefox can't find the server at server1.monsterhost.co.cc.[/quote]

which I think It might be because when I installed apache on the first tutorial, but am not sure, also not sure how to fix this.
    I recived the following error
    [IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/7/B8Bz8NPp.png

would u know why its not determining my domain name?
    I could really use some help here please.

I can only reach ISPconfig3 Squirrell, myphpadmin etc via my ip.

thanks

10. husskii

husskii Member

ive stuffed up once again [what a pain]

I thought maybe it was my domain name, not pointing to my server, so I tried updating the name servers as shown in the comments on page 4, of
    ""perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig3-p4"" which I did on my previous setup ""url seedmachines.com""

11. husskii

husskii Member

apache2 error fixed, but still cant resolve hostname!

Hi I fixed the apache2 error, by uninstalling apache2 and reinstalling also going over a few of the steps related to the IP, I still kept my router name server in my co.cc profile, and also added them to my
    Code:
    /etc/resolv.conf
    file, then after reboot, all went well.

But I still cant get to any of my web applications via my domain name, which means I cant install elgg, because I cant reach the website to install elgg on..

pls if I can get any ideas that would be great...

The error is still

Thanks

12. falko

Code:
    mh1:~# dig www.monsterhost.co.cc

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> www.monsterhost.co.cc
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 47835
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.monsterhost.co.cc.         IN      A

;; Query time: 1790 msec
    ;; SERVER: 213.133.99.99#53(213.133.99.99)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Jan 10 17:49:04 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 39

mh1:~#
    You need to create an A record for your hostname.

13. husskii

husskii Member

I think Its fixed now

Hi falko I used my IP for the value and now when I browse to the url
    www.server1.monsterhost.co.cc

I now get the following error
    which I didn't before, so I think maybe I have set the right details and might just need to wait up to 48hrs for it to start working [fingers crossed lol]

hopefully its solved, but if u know Its wrong, please let me know, saves me waiting 48hrs to find out for my self lol...

thanks heaps for all your help :)

details I used
    Also Just in case one was wrong, I have gone ahead and added both one with server1.monsterhost.co.cc and the 2nd just monsterhost.co.cc, this is what they look like..

ZONE RECORDS IN co.cc
    [​IMG]

and in ispconfig it looks like this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  14. husskii

husskii Member

Ok I was able to access webmin squirrelmail, ispconfig all with my actual domain name instead of the IP, but I still got the error
    when I tried to go to http://www.monsterhost.co.cc which I setup in ispconfig so I can install elgg..

anyways out of nowhere my pc died and I got the Blue screen of death, and after I booted back up, once again I can only access with my IP's instead of the domain name?

any idea on what went wrong?

I have no clue why this happened.

when I try access squirrelmail with my domain name, I now get the error ""404 Not Found""
    when I try access ispconfig with my domain name I now get
    and when I try access webmin with my domain name I also get
    thanks

***UPDATE****
    Hi I switched of my pc for a few hrs, to let it cool down and now I can access all web applications such as webmin, squirrelmail, ispconfig etc through my actual domain name and not the IP, but when I try access the website I created, so I can install elgg. I get redirected to co.cc website, but the title of the sight ""In the TAB"" says
    all I can think is that it hasnt registered to that site yet, which is a bit strange since I can access the rest.

Anyway looks like I'm almost there lol...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  15. falko

Code:
    mh1:~# dig www.monsterhost.co.cc

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> www.monsterhost.co.cc
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 51513
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.monsterhost.co.cc.         IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.monsterhost.co.cc.  3600    IN      A       114.207.244.144
    www.monsterhost.co.cc.  3600    IN      A       114.207.244.146
    www.monsterhost.co.cc.  3600    IN      A       114.207.244.143
    www.monsterhost.co.cc.  3600    IN      A       114.207.244.145

;; Query time: 546 msec
    ;; SERVER: 213.133.99.99#53(213.133.99.99)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Jan 11 14:31:55 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 103

Why did you create so many A records for www.monsterhost.co.cc?

Also, the nameservers are very slow, I got a time out when I tried to resolve www.server1.monsterhost.co.cc:

Code:
    mh1:~# dig www.server1.monsterhost.co.cc

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> www.server1.monsterhost.co.cc
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

16. husskii

husskii Member

lol ok that shows I really am learning as I go and dnt know too much, in my profile all I have is 2 A records for monsterhost.co.cc
    1 is for server1.monsterhost.co.cc
    the 2nd is for monsterhost.co.cc and both tied to the same IP, because I didnt know which was which. I think when u tried it and recieved 4 A records was when I had each them on both my router IP and my local IP because I didnt know what was what. so now I only have 2 both on my router IP.

which one should I delete, the server1.monsterhost.co.cc A record or the monsterhost.co.cc A record. plus ye it also times out for me but the only one that times out or resets connection is when I try access the www.monsterhost.co.cc which i created for elgg, the rest when trying to access web-apps like webmin ir ispconfig etc, they all work with the domain name.

17. falko

18. husskii

husskii Member

thats strange as you can see in the screen shot I have created an A record for each and only 1 each..

whats in the screen shot is all I have in my domain settings at co.cc

I created one for each so I dnt know why dig shows that I create 4 for www.monsterhost.co.cc

also if I only have it created for www.monsterhost.co.cc wouldnt that mean I can actuall access the site I created to install elgg.

I can only access server1.monsterhost.co.cc web applications like myadmin ispconfig & squirrelmail through server1.monsterhost.co.cc, but this time it only worked after I forwarded the ports in my router to allow them applications on the ports I set, which I didnt have to last time. b4 they were accessable without forwarding the ports.

and still I cant access www.monsterhost.co.cc

Thanks

19. husskii

husskii Member

All url are working ""sort off""

Hi falko
    all is working now, I can now access the web apps via server1.monsterhost.co.cc and I can access the set I created to install elgg on, but I can only access this site as http://monsterhost.co.cc if i try add the www it wont work.. do u know why, as I mentioned before I dnt know why dig is returning that information as it seems to be invalid unless Im doing something wrong, but in my profile for monsterhost.co.cc I only have an A record for each url, 1 for monsterhost.co.cc and one for server1.monsterhost.co.cc. btw should I create the A record as www.monsterhost.co.cc or just as it is monsterhost.co.cc

ok i just forwarded the url including the www and it worked, I hope this is right. I can now access the site through [ur]www.monsterhost.co.cc[/url]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  20. husskii

husskii Member

Elgg Error

Hi this is the error once again Ive recieved trying to setup elgg. [​IMG]

I defiantly know the user-name and pass, wgich is 100% correct, because Ive used the same details for ftp and shell and they connected on first go. as for the database name its self, Im not 100% what it is, because in your screen-shot of the database in ispconfig it shows as default_elgg as mine is c0elgg, I have tried defaul_elgg, defaultelgg & c0elgg and just elgg its self, and none seem to want to work. This sis the exact same problem I had last time I tried this setup.

I use ispconfig 3.0.1.6 and elgg 1.6.1 do you have any advise for me please.

thanks
    Husskii