What's the best way to implement multiple TLDs => 1 TLD for WordPress

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dfumagalli, Aug 4, 2015.

1. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Hello,

we have a fairly peculiar situation to handle with ISPConfig 3 ("Perfect Server" install over Ubuntu 14.04 + Apache).

We have to install one WordPress (WP) installation servicing multiple TLDs.

WP is installed on "domain.com". This is the English version of the website.
    We have to have domain.es, domain.it, domain.fr, domain.de etc. etc. point to the same IP and WP install. A multilingual WP plugin should then display the most appropriate language depending on the TLD the user typed in.
    The WP plugin handles the appropriate "link rel alternate" stuff to avoid Google flagging the resulting alternate language pages as duplicates.

If possible, we'd like to avoid a simple 301 redirect from "domain.fr" / "domain.es" etc to "domain.com.
    We'd like for the TLD to stay the same the user entered in the browser URL despite it's the .com WP install handling the website rendering.

Furthermore, we have "myotherdomain.fr", "myotherdomain.es" etc. that should 301 redirect to the corresponding "domain.fr", "domain.es" etc.

Is this possible with ISPConfig 3? What's the best way to achieve this? I am expecially confused between using the "Website => Add new website => Redirect tab" and the "Aliasdomain for website => Add new aliasdomain" functionalities.
    If I need to use the latter, which kind of redirect should I use?

Thanks in advance,
    Dario Fumagalli

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Just add all domains as alias domains to this website. Don't set any redirect.

dfumagalli likes this.
  3. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Thank you!
    Should we use the same method for the alternate TLDs?

Because, whereas we want the user to see his "original" URL when opening the website, we want the alternate URLs to be changed to the canonical URL with same TLD.

Example:
    User types:
    www .domain.fr

His browser has to show:
    www .domain.fr (even if it's being processed by WP installed on domain.com).

But
    User types:
    www .myaltdomain.fr

His browser has to show:
    www .domain.fr

If we have to implement a redirect, which one should we use? Still use the alias domain redirect or the "add new website" redirect?

Best regards,
    Dario Fumagalli

4. till

If the domain name shall stay, then there is no redirect required. If the domain name shell get altered, then add a 301 redirect to the matching target domain name.

dfumagalli likes this.
  5. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Thank you so much!

At this point I wonder why do we have a "Website => Add new website => Redirect tab" when the "Add new aliasdomain" functionality does it all.
    What's the difference? The former creates a whole directory structure and then inside its root places an .htaccess file with a redirect, while the latter just adds appropriate clauses to an existing .htaccess in an existing structure?

6. till

A new website is a new website that has its own directory while an alias domain is just an additional domain for an existing site, so these two are completely different.

dfumagalli likes this.
  7. dfumagalli

dfumagalli Member

Thank you! You are so quick to reply and so awesome! If you have a Paypal button somewhere I'd like to send you a little donation!

8. till

Thanks! When you like to support our work at ISPConfig, please consider to buy an ispconfig manual or get a howtoforge subscription.