What's the most lightweight POP mail option?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by minktoast, Jun 16, 2006.

1. minktoast

minktoast New Member

Hello - I'm setting up a VPS server and want to do everything as memory efficiently and lightweight as possible.

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06.

I need to run POP3 mail for about 60 users with the ability to support virtual mail accounts (i.e. no unix account) but not essential. Also SSL would be beneficial. I don't need IMAP.

What's the lightest (least memory), and best solution? Please can you give your answer in simple speak as I'm a bit of a newbie!

Many thanks if you can help (especially Falko and Till - I knew you put a lot of time into this forum and it's been very helpful to me - I hope I can repay with some answers as my experience grows).

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I wouldn't worry too much about a POP server's performance. If your VPS has performance problems, then this is probably due to some other application, but not your POP server.
    If you use Maildir, I suggest you install Courier-POP3 or Dovecot (not sure if there's a Dovecot package on Ubuntu though). If you use mbox, you can install ipop3d or qpopper or whatever Ubuntu has to offer.

3. minktoast

minktoast New Member

Excellent - thanks FALKO - I tried the Postfix + Dovecot how-to on this site but didn't get it to work. I'm about to try your Postfix, Courier And MySQL how-to instead. Thanks again.