What's the recommended way to get PHP 5.3?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Ovidiu, May 11, 2017.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I need a server for a testing/migration project running PHP 5.3. Yes I know its old and outdated and so on and so forth yet I still need this.

What would be the recommended way?
    - should I go with debian squeeze? Its old and outdated (I think this was the last Debian release which had PHP 5.3)
    - should I go with debian Jessie and use snapshots.debian.org? Its going to be horrible pinning all needed packages

I basically need to simulate an old environment with a surprisingly NEW MYSQL-SERVER of 5.6 PHP 5.3.X and Apache2.X - any suggestions on the most elegant way to achieve this? This is for testing and for the migration phase of a website to newer versions.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I would install a normal Debian 8 ISPConfig server, and then compile PHP 5.3 as additional PHP version.

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

4. till

The apache version is the one that ships with Debian. You compile just PHP with the modules that you need. there are various tutorials available on that topic, see ISPConfig documentation page: https://www.ispconfig.org/documentation/

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Thanks, I'll go look. if I compile my own php 5.3 can it be the only one? You mentioned "additional". Btw. this is a standalone system no ISPCFG

6. till

No, it can be an additional PHP version only. If you need it as main system php, then you probably have to use an old debian version.

7. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

damn. so it really looks like I am going to install Squeeze :-(

8. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member