Wheezy 2 Jessie

Discussion in 'General' started by SamTzu, May 4, 2015.

1. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Just did my first test upgrade to Jessie and... voila. Something broke in ISPconfig.

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

This error seems to come on all sites.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

In Till we trust :)
    Good thing we have test servers (that only host our "personal" test websites.)
    One other thing I noticed while doing this. After the upgrade to "Jessie" Webmin shows only the 2 default websites. On Wheezy Webmin shows all the websites as usual. I can only conclude that during the dist-upgrade something happens that makes Apache 2.4 loose all the websites (ie. vhosts.)

4. till

Did you run a resync in ispconfig on the websites? Thats nescessary to convert the syntax.

5. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

On an other OpenVZ virtual host we lost the entire network connection after upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie.
    System log said this.
    Code:
    jessie upgrade networking (via systemctl): networking.serviceFailed to get D-Bus connection: No such file or directory
    Trying to get the eth0 up said this.
    Code:
    ifup eth0
    ifup: failed to open lockfile /run/network/.ifstate.lock: No such file or directory
    This command fixed the problem.
    Code:
    mkdir -p /run/network/

till likes this.
  6. till

I guess we all will have a lot of fun with the systemd switch of Debian until everythng works :)

7. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

LOL.
    Seems you are right. I also tracked the problem to SYSTEMD.
    The D-Bus errors are just the symptom. Not the actual problem.
    Any ideas how to disable systemd and to use sysvinit until they fix the problems on systemd?

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  8. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  9. till

10. till

Ok, basically the same, Did not see your post.

11. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

I did. Resync did not seem to have any effect. None of the Apache vhost files were changed.
    As I understand it 2 changes need to be made.
    1. Every vhost file needs to use the .conf extension from now on.
    2. Every vhost file needs to include this line Require all granted
    Resync did not do these 2 changes.

12. till

The vhost files on a ispconfig server have the name .vhost and not .conf, so dont change the file names manually, it will just break your server. Did you run the required ispconfig upgrade after the dist upgrade and choose to reconfigure services? This is required and your server will not work without that as ispconfig has to adjust the config files of all services for the newly installed software versions. Thare is no manual modification in the ispconfig vhost files nescessary.

13. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Ok. 4 all of you who have (Proxmox) OpenVZ containers with ISPconfig here is how you can upgrade to Debian Jessie.

First we get rid of systemd and fail2ban.
    Fail2ban can break your upgrade with Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1
    Code:
    apt-get install sysvinit-core sysvinit sysvinit-utils
    apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove systemd
    apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove fail2ban
    rm -Rf /etc/fail2ban/

reboot
    Now we can start the Jessie dist-upgrade without having it break down on us in the middle of upgrade.
    Make sure that you have updated your sources.list to Jessie repositories with your favorite editor :)
    Code:
    vi /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    ...waiting ...waiting ...waiting
    reboot
    Then we fix default-ssl and check that apache restarts (only needed if you have it enabled. Notice the file name might be different in your setup!)
    Code:
    cd /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/
    rm 000-default-ssl
    ln -s ./../sites-available/default-ssl.conf
    /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
    /etc/init.d/apache2 status

Then we upgrade ISPconfig (You have to run a ispconfig update after you upgraded to Debian Jessie so ispconfig can update all config files to the syntax of the newly installed software versions, there is no need to manually edit the ispconfig vhost file.)
    Code:
    ispconfig_update.sh

14. blackfox123

blackfox123 Member

This happened.. I now get Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1 all over the place.. how does one rectifty this when i've broken my upgrade?

15. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Just remove fail2ban with apt-get remove fail2ban and then reinstall it after dist-upgrade and reboot. If your dbus installation broke and you can't get your virtual container up with it you could try copying /sbin/init from somewhere. Worked for me well enough one time so that I could get the container up and running enough that I could use apt-get to install systemv and remove dbus.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016