When we Prefer Xterm to [desktopname]-terminal

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by jsabarese, Sep 28, 2010.

1. jsabarese

jsabarese New Member

SPECIFICS:
    here's what i've got for the /shortcut/ command line:
    Code:
    xterm -bd "#000000" -fg "#eeeeee" -bg "#330055" -geometry 150x50
    Having replaced the existing GnomePanel target, formerly pointing to...uh probably [ gnome-terminal ], or close to that-- which gives me a nice size term, to my liking.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. jsabarese

jsabarese New Member

toggle scrollbar and more

obligatory cliché: “ You learn something new, every day! ”

Updated xterm Launcher command: (includes scrollbar, custom "window" size, and custom colours)
    Code:
    xterm -sb -bd "#000000" -fg "#eeeeee" -bg "#330055" -geometry 150x50
    Note: This differs from the command, above, only in the -sb option, which enables the "scrollbar"-- for quickly viewing any previous commands entered, and other terminal output which may no longer be visible in the current portion of the screen view.

If the reader finds affinity for xterm, but yet early in acquiring skill with the environment, he or she might do well to do as I did-- realizing the benefit of trial and error ; to learn by experience: open [whatever] terminal, for executing commands from the command line, and execute
    Code:
    xterm --help
    The lengthy set of options, as returned via --help , is a fine reference, from which a trial-and-error study might begin.

What properties are affected by the several options listed? It may be difficult to determine, as options of the CLI executable range anywhere from a single-character, to whole or hyphenated-words. Experimenting with the options, as listed via --help , may be an intimidating endeavour, for the uncertainty of the outcome. However, just digging-in, getting-the-feet-wet, and doing something with it, the User will experience results quickly, as manipulation of basic xterm options (such as -bg , -fg , for background and foreground colours) can be immediately visible in the new xterm window which should open.

For example, having a terminal open, try invoking xterm, while appending one or more of various options, such as -fg "#hexval", -sb (foreground colour, scrollbar), to experience in real-time how these options affect the xterm environment.

A user unfamiliar with CLI operations, or Linux in general, may find "xterm" less friendly than, for example, gnome-terminal. However, xterm does afford the User a vast array of options, that the User might /create/ his or her own customized terminal / command line (CLI) environment. Indeed, likewise, so it may be with other "terminal" apps: i simply prefer xterm (for whatever reason).

For a complete listing, and extensive explanation of each of the xterm options, simply execute (instead of xterm --help)
    Code:
    info xterm
    (NOTE: while viewing documentation via info (appname), pressing "s" should invoke a Search dialogue, at the very last line of the current terminal view, where-- entering a search-expression-- any desired text within the documentation may be located most expeditiously.

(this User's system... generalized:
    Xubuntu v.'K', upgraded to 'L',
    operates in Gnome-session [Gnome window manager defaults]
    XFCE desktop, and [all] other window managers, purged [hence this Terminal issue did arise, and decided to share]
    )

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010