Where are the subdomain folder?

Discussion in 'General' started by MacGoose, Sep 5, 2010.

1. MacGoose

MacGoose New Member

So I created a subdomain for my domain. But where is the folder for my subdomain?

, MacGoose

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Subdomains are aliases of a website which dont have a own folder. If you need a subdomain which separate folder, then create a website instead.

3. MacGoose

MacGoose New Member

So I need to create a new website and then a new subdomain as an alias and a new ftp user just to get a subdomain?

I'm sorry to say this, but ISPConfig is the most difficult utility to use. I've never had this much problem setting up a simple subdomain before. It's also difficult in other areas too btw - maybe because of the complete lack of user documentation...

, MacGoose

4. till

No. You just create a new website and enter "sub.domain.com" into the domain field. Quite easy and straight forward.

5. MacGoose

MacGoose New Member

Ok, thanks!

A follow-up question though.

I still have to create a new ftp user for the subdomain website? I don't see how else I can access the subdomain website through ftp.

And why does ISPConfig have that option "Subdomain for website" if it's no use...?

, MacGoose

6. till

Yes, you have to add a FTP user.

It is used quite often. Of you use modern cms systems like joomla, typo3 or wordpress and use subdomains, then all subdomains have to point to the same domain then the main website. In such a case, you use the subdomain function. Ánother use case is if you want to redirect the subdomain to another URL or script, then you use the subdomain function as well together with rewrite rules.

But what you wanted is a new virtual host, and this is named website in ispconfig. For a virtualhost, it doe snot matter if a domain is a second or third level domain aka subdomain.