Where Now?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Bubo, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Bubo

Bubo New Member

Hi All

This is my first post to ths forum as I am new to "HowToForge" and new to the world of linux based servers.

So...

If these are a stupid questions then please let me know (gently) !

I have so far followed the howto which creates a Debian Sarge based lan server using e-box for config. Its working very well with both my Windows and Linux machines and was pretty straightforward to get going.

I would now like to add ftp, web and a mail server so that I can host a few simple sites. So my main questions are:

As I have a configured sarge base on the lan server can I safely add web, ftp etc by picking up at the appropriate page in the "Perfect Debian Sarge" howto.

Will I be compromising the security of my lan by doing it that way and if yes, are those security issues insurmountable.

Could I create an additional IP address on my one NIC card then use that as a dmz address for the web side of things, or, use a second nic card.

Or, would I be better using another machine (I do have one available) solely for that purpose and placing the whole thing on its own nic in the dmz.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

BUbo

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, that should work. The only problem I see is the eBox firewall because you must open additional ports (81 for ISPConfig, for example). But this might help you: https://projects.warp.es/projects/ebox-platform/wiki/Document/FAQ/HowToAddFirewallServices

No.

Yes.

That would be more secure and uncomplicated.