Where to find per domain web and error logs?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Masters of Media, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Masters of Media

Masters of Media New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Where can one find a per domain web and error log?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If this is an ISPConfig system, then you find the log files in the 'log' folder of the website. e.g. /var/www/somedomain.tld/log/

3. Masters of Media

Thank you, indeed an ISPConfig system I am referring to.
    Would there be a method to view the log files through the ISP Config webinterface?

4. till

Not the web logs as ISPConfig is a multiserver system and loading all website logs into the central database of the master server just to be able to view them would waste just too many resources. Other central logs are available in the monitor module.

Masters of Media likes this.
  5. Masters of Media

Copying log data to the central database would also not be me preferred solution. But would a a buttun wich invokes a grep or cat command, fetching the wanted data form the log files, be a option?
    I'm asking as being able to view web and php error log data would be essential for webdevelopers.

6. till

Only if you are willing to allow any hacker to easily access your system. And that's not what we want and that's why there is no such function. To access log files in a multiserver system with a GUI that runs as low privileged user (as ISPConfig does for security reasons) would require allowing shell access to all nodes from that GUI to read the files, that's basically a security nightmare.

Web developers have already easy access to them, that's why the log folder is part of the site so that any web developer can access and view them if needed using the same tools he uses for web development like FTP or SSH/SFTP.

Masters of Media likes this.
  7. Masters of Media

Right, not a good idea then. Thanks for the clarification.