where to get the PRO/Wireless 2200BG support package?

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by jack.ma, Nov 29, 2006.

1. jack.ma

jack.ma New Member

Hi

I can not find the wireless connection interface on my portable personal computer.
    1.It's OS is ubuntu. the kernel is what I compiled using linux-2.6.12.1.tar.bz package from kernel.org according to "How To Compile A Kernel - The Ubuntu Way" by falko .
    2.I compiled the kernel with CONFIG_NET_RADIO set to y.
    3.my wireless product is PRO/Wireless 2200BG by Inter Corp.

Why?Is the wireless support package available in the kernel but I didn't configure it correctly in the menuconfig? or there is not the support package in the kernel source at all? or something else?If the support package is not available in the kernel source,where to get it.I want the source package.

Any information is appreciated:)

-jack

2. Daniel15

Daniel15 New Member

3. jack.ma

jack.ma New Member

I found a source package named wireless in the kernel source tree: linux/driver/net/wireless/. linux is the top level of kernel source .I doubted that the PRO/Wireless 2200BG driver was there.So I compiled the kernel with

Device drivers ->
    Networking support->
    Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)&Wireless Extensions->
    Hermes chipset 802.11b support (Orinoco/Prism2/Symbol)

set in the menuconfig

When I rebooted the kernel, I still couldn't find the wireless network connection interface in Network settings.In addition, it broken down at point where it displayed "rebooting ..."

Any suggestion is appreciated.
    -jack

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think you have to patch the kernel with the Intel Pro Wireless 2200 drivers. Patching is described in the tutorial.