Where to setup ispconfig main server

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by som3body, May 4, 2016.

1. som3body

som3body Member

Hi
    I have a question regarding the ispconfig main server. I have 2 servers, one bare metal with Proxmox installed and one virtual. Both are fresh installs. Wich one is better to setup as the main? And why? I am voting for the virtual because of easier backup.
    Thank You.

2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

The question is: What are you planning to do? Is the second one a mirror server? Which one will get more load? Which one has more power? etc. etc.
    It totally depends on your use case.

3. som3body

som3body Member

First of all, thank You for Your answer. My plan is running our dns servers there. The Bare metal is of course the most powerful. It has 16gb dd3 ram And 2x2 TB disk. Proxmox is installed on it. I have created there a VM with 8 gb ram and 500 gb HD. There will run our website and some demo business apps. So I need FTP,DNS,MAIL, WEBSERVER. I have only 2 IP s at the moment one of them is assigned to bare metal, and 1 to virtual. Later planning buy more, and make more VMS with Proxmox. My plan was to set it up on VM. And thats why I asking for advice.

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

well, if you wanna manage that website/email with ispconfig then install it into that vm.

5. som3body

som3body Member

Ok, thanks. I had a setup like this about 2 weeks ago, but the slave and master stopped work together. I think a not gracefully rebooted bare metal server caused that. I did not stop the virtual before restart the other. I think. After that I was not able to connect to the mysql. Even after reinstall the mysql on bare metal. I have tryed 5 days to get it work again, but without succes. Than i have reinstalled everything.

6. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

why setup each domain in an own proxmox vm?

7. som3body

som3body Member

Sorry but i dont understand the question. I had a setup of 2 dns servers, master and slave with one domain, on 2 ips. The virtual was the main, with web,mail,dns etc. The bare metal only dns.

8. Croydon

I'd not recommend using the dedicated server. Get an additional ip and use two virtual machines.

9. som3body

som3body Member

Thank You, I am considering Your advice and I think That would be the best what I can do. Just A question. If I setup one more server, can I have Webserver and everything there too? Or That one should be only dns server?

10. Croydon

That's up to you. I know people having all (web, dns, db, mail) on one server and secondary dns on a second one. But of course you can separate web and db, or web and mail etc.

11. som3body

som3body Member

Ok, thanks a lot.

12. som3body

som3body Member

My I have one more question? When I am going to create a second bridged virtual machine, do I need to create another bridge as well? Now I have Vmbr0 for the first virtual machine. If I am going to create the second, do I need to make a bridge like Vmbr1? Sorry that's a beginner stupid question. I think Yes, but not sure.

13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I don't use proxmox but I would just try to reuse the first one, if it does not work, create a new one :)

14. som3body

som3body Member

Hi Till.:)
    You cant believe, how happy I am to see You online again, after a long time. That problem I have solved, we bought one more IP. And now I am trying to set up everything again on 2 virtual machines. But on the second (slave server) I cant deal with the unable to connect to mysql server. But I can make the connection via the command line. I have tried it about 10 times to reinstall everything. What could be wrong? :confused:

15. som3body

som3body Member

Problem solved. I have used different passwords on the 2 VMS for mysql root. I have changed the pass on slave to be identical on master. After that, in PHPMYADMIN changed all passwords to be identical. Then the installation started without problems. Just I lost internet connection with the Putty instances in the middle of installation. Now I can start again.

16. muekno

muekno Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Even if its solved now, if you virtualize then allways virtualize all, let just run the the hypervisor on the pure metal. In addition I use an little bit enhanced configuration since years. Beside the multiserver ISPConfig I have an additional minmal configured server used as an IP tables firewall (easily configured with firewallbulder). Alls ISPConfig servers are on a private network behind, accessed from the internet via NAT. That frees me to firewall the ISPConfig servers and on the other side gives me gradual access from the internet to the ISPConfig servers.

If throughput is no as important, at home I have a slight modified config. I use a separate firewall server based on a Raspi, minimal debian jesse, internal net with USB -> Ethernet (DSL Router just used as amodem). So even if anything is on the virtual system or its hardware is broken, I have access t the internet. If the Raspi brakes I habe a second one as spare, Raspi costs nearly nothing.

Rainer