Which Folders To BackUP

Discussion in 'General' started by mphayesuk, Feb 27, 2006.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ok I have read a few threads about moving ispconfig to other servers and backing up ect.... so what would be nice is to have a list of every folder that is needed in order to have a complete backup of the system, so all one would have to do is build/rebuild a server with ispconfig installed... if that is how it should be done and then restore all the correct folders and files.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. mphayesuk

I dont think there is any need for something like systemimager... I am using a hardware raid configuration so that should be enough... but I did want to make sure I did have all my customers data.... thanks for the other links.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

But RAID isn't really a backup. It helps you if one of your hard disks fails. But imagine someone hacks your server and deletes important files. These changes would be mirrored to your other hard disk immediately which means you don't have a backup anymore.

5. mphayesuk

Yes that is true... but as long as you cant login to the system as root or any other account from outside the network... ie not sat at the computer then that should cut the risk.

Using:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_linux_systemimager
    http://www.howtoforge.com/dedicated_...e_systemimager

from what I have read means that I need another server to copy the images to which I dont have I only have one server.... so if you have any ideas how to create a system image with only one server I would be very greatfull.

Thanks

6. mphayesuk

Just rad through the system imager and it seems a good method and at a push I could setup a mall server with a big hard drive to hold the image, however if I am using hardware raid how will it restore to a new server... does the client install disk load the drivers needed for the raid card ect...

Thanks

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you have a mini linux on your server or use a linux rescue cd that initializes your raid correctly, it should work.

8. mphayesuk

"mini linux" not sure what that is.... and at the moment I dont use a rescue cd, I had to use a floppy disk with the raid drivers on to install suse 10 originally......