Which HA/Fail-over solution to take?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by chillifire, Jan 9, 2009.

1. chillifire

chillifire New Member

Hi there,

I have seen many HA/Fail-Over configuration solutions in this forum, all for Debian/Ubuntu distributions. Here a few examples:

-Setting Up A High-Availability Load Balancer (With Failover and Session Support) With HAProxy/Heartbeat On Debian Etch
    -Setting Up A High-Availability Load Balancer (With Failover and Session Support) With Pound/Keepalived On Debian Etch
    -Setting Up A High-Availability Load Balancer (With Failover and Session Support) With HAProxy/Keepalived On Debian Etch
    -How To Set Up A Loadbalanced High-Availability Apache Cluster (using Ultra Monkey - Debain and Ubuntu versions available)

That's great. But which one to take? On face value they all seem to do the same, but I am sure they are all subtly different. And I am sure different solutions are the right ones in different circumstances, depending on individual requirements. Essentially what I am seeking is some guidance for what might be the best solution for my circumstances.

What am I trying to achieve?
    I have a number of third party hosted Ubuntu VPS servers with ISPConfig running, which run mainly Apache webserver, mysql and freeradius. The mysql servers are connected with master-master replication, the freeradius servers are using them in a failover/balance setup (configured in freeradius).

I want to:
    - loadbalance and fail-over enable my apache web servers
    - have a centralised and joint weblog to achieve common awstats statistics accross loadbalance loadservers
    - loadbalance and fail-over enable my freeradius servers
    - I want the option to have the loadbalancer and the webservers to run on the same server
    - I want to be able to easily manipulate the loadbalance distribution (does not have to be necessarily be even) or even take servers out of the game, so they can stand in as testservers, ie.e during upgrades.
    - The webserver loadbalancing has to be session aware (freeradius should be ok without)

Of all the suggested solutions, which one do you recommend to be the most suitable for me?

Any thoughts and advice welcome.

PS: What would you recommend to keep the webservers in sync

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

AFAIK, Ultramonkey exists only for Sarge, but not for Etch, so this tutorial is out.

These do all the same, in fact it doesn't matter which one you use. In the end it comes down to what works in your network. For example, we are using HAProxy with heartbeat for HowtoForge, but only because the keepalived tutorial doesn't work in our subnet (our provider seems to block the keepalived messages, whereas heartbeat is able to communicate fine).

For files and directories, I'd use rsync: http://www.howtoforge.com/mirroring_with_rsync