Which IP's to use for ISPConfig setup

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by skeeta, Sep 4, 2005.

1. skeeta

skeeta ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I am behind a router/firewall which has a public static IP and all relevant ports are being forwarded on the router to my private local IP (192.168.1.102).

My Webserver has 192.1.168.102 and a virtual IP of 192.168.1.103 as per the "perfect setup.."

I have a fresh ISPConfig install and want to get things right from the start!

Which IP should be used in the following cases;

1:) ISP Server (Management->Server->Settings).
    This has the IP I enetered during setup (192.168.1.102) there is also 192.168.1.103 (the vitual IP) in the IP List.

2:) During Site creation, whick IP should be used (Public or Private)?

I also don't quite understand the "Maildir" option.

If someone could guide me I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Skeeta

2. domino

domino New Member

Use the IP you assigned to the linux server. The router has it's own IP so don't use the router's IP. If your linux webserver is 192.1.168.102, you can use the same IP for the other domains you create. One reason to dedicate an IP to a spacific domain is if you require SSL for that domain.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As domino already explained, use for 1) and 2) the IP: 192.168.1.102

Maildir vs. Mbox:

These are two email storage formats. Maildir means, that every mail is stored in a separate file inside the maildir directory. Mbox means, that all emails are stored in one large file, the format of this file is named mbox.

How to decide if you need Mbox / Maildir:

ISPConfig supports both formats, but most POP3 and IMAP Daemons support only MBox or Maildir, so you have to chose the mail storage format in ISPConfig that is supported by your POP3 and IMAP Daemon.

For example, courier is one of the few Daemons that support Mbox and Maildir, in this case i recommend to use Maildir because it is more robust and scales better than mbox format.

The default format in Fedora and SuSe is Mbox (please correct me if i'am wrong).

4. skeeta

skeeta ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Thankyou both for your replies.

Using the private IP has solved the problem of not being able to view second and subsequent sites :)

My next problem is that I am supposed to have authorative DNS servers for two sites and the DNS servers are supposed to be on a Public IP. However, if I enter the Private IP as above, the DNS server is not open to the Public.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005