Which linux distro for smtp/pop3/mysql?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by johnnynine, Aug 19, 2007.

1. johnnynine

johnnynine New Member

I'm a linux newbie, coming from a Windows background.

My goal is to get a linux email server (SMTP and POP3) up and running with current (free) linux technology. I also may be needing a database server. These will all be used in a small business and are not intended for an ISP.

I followed the The Perfect Setup OpenSuSE 10.2 how to but only installed Postfix, Courier and MySql. All of which seem to work (however it seems like Postfix may not require authentication to send internet over the internet?). - The tutorial was great, thanks!

I noticed there are several other server tutorials/how-tos here, the Fedora 7 Server how-to for instance is 6 months newer than the SuSE and uses DoveCot instead of Courier.

I'm looking for some direction on which linux distribution to use, and which smtp, pop3, and database servers to use.

I know this may be highly subjective and don't mean to strike a debate, I'm just looking for some friendly advice.

Thanks,
    Johnny

2. johnnynine

johnnynine New Member

Just to make a comparison I installed Ubuntu Server 6.06 because it seems to be popular now. Does it contain anything like SuSE's Yast I found configuration somewhat more difficult than SuSE. And I also found that although it installs the iptables firewall, it is left totally open and from what I can tell has to be manually configured and set to run on startup.

edit: typo

3. zoobuh

zoobuh New Member

I would use Debian.

There is a nice how to on "Howto forge" that explains everything for you.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

5. johnnynine

johnnynine New Member

Does Debian have a easy to use admin interface similar to SuSE's Yast?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, fortunately not (did I mention that I don't like SuSE?)...

But for installing packages, you can use apt-get which is far better than YaST or anything else.

7. johnnynine

johnnynine New Member

Thank guys, I've gone with Debian, and I do like apt-get... it hasn't given me any problems unlike some of the others.