Which one is best perl or javascript?

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by Damieen, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Damieen

Damieen New Member

well guys, just need tour suggestions to make it clear for me, about the best scripting language between the two, Perl or Javascript. I just have to develop a website and there is the option for me using any one from the two. So, kindly tell about your opinion.:)

2. Damieen

Damieen New Member

Hello friends, you have nothing for me to suggest about the best one or you have no idea about it. I may consider tutorials also but I think if you would have used, so better idea about it... please guys ??

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not really compare tehs elanguages as they are for different purposes. Javascript is mostly used as programming language in the web browser while Perl is a scripting langauge that is used on the server to generate pages or to create meintenance scripts for system administration.

4. Damieen

Damieen New Member

Okay, this is the issue where I was missing to make the differences. Well, now you have made my concepts totally good regarding these two scripting languages, I can decide which one to choose... finally thanks for your great reply.

5. deli45

deli45 New Member

I agree! ;)

6. Fmartin

Fmartin New Member

I also think that we can't compare these languages because they are used in different ways and for different goals.

7. ethan12

ethan12 New Member

deli45 yeah very right and 100% agreed with you but javascript is not an easy language to learn although perl language easily understandable.

8. bobcharr

bobcharr New Member

It's true, but as for me javascript offers more opportunities than perl.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  9. AlisonCoco

AlisonCoco New Member

if you use programming language then javascript is the best one to be used for you otherwise perl would be the ideal one for you

10. RandomGuy

RandomGuy New Member

As the previous posts already pointed out they are not comparable. One generates a page on the server, one is executed in your users browser once they downloaded the page. This might be beside the point but I am using java servlets and in my opinion using server side java and client side javascript is a good combination since the two are very similar which means you don't have to shift between "two worlds" all the time.
    I don't quite agree about javascript beeing hard, in my opinion it is one of the easiest scripting languages that you could use. There are things that are complex, like understanding the scope of variable and closures but the generall language is rather easy to learn. I recommend that you use JQuery when working with client side javascript. It can save a huuuuuge amount of time and makes almost every aspect of javascript much easier. It is also very well documented and easy to learn.
    To your question, I would suggest to use both. As I stated above one is server-sided one client-sided. I never did anything with perl so I don't know how hard it is to learn it. What I can tell you however is that you need client sided as well as server sided code in almost any case I can think of. If you need to save your users settings in a database you will need server sided technologies, if you want your web-page to have interactive features like sortable table or collapsible boxes you need client-sided scripts. You would have to explain what it is you are trying to do for a more accurate recommendation.

11. Micke Picton

Micke Picton New Member

i thin so you use java because java is one the best language it is a provide lot of security

12. uhappyy

uhappyy New Member

You can not really compare tehs elanguages as they are for different purposes. Javascript is mostly used as programming language in the web browser while Perl is a scripting langauge that is used on the server to generate pages or to create meintenance scripts for system administration.???

_________
    GuL