Which OS Would You use in Your Organization?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Jawshh, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jawshh

Jawshh New Member

Suppose you're an organization that deals with server virtualization and server leasing stuff.

You're going to rent cloud computing instances and dedicated servers to customers.

You will be using mainly Xen but will also use KVM if customers request it.

What would you use on your dom0s (host machines)?

1. Red Hat Enterprise Linux Latest version
    2. Centos latest version
    3. Fedora latest version
    4. Ubuntu Server LTS
    5. Ubuntu Server Latest version.

Please justify your choice, don't say something like: "Centos, because it is an enterprise server!" or "Red Hat, because it is paid". This doesn't mean anything. :confused:

Give a good reason for choosing an OS over another. :)

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Ubuntu doesn't come with a dom0 kernel (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen#Ubuntu's Support of Xen ), so I think it's out of the game.

My choice would be Debian because it has the best package manager in my opinion and is very stable. Oit of the options you provided I'd use CentOS because it's free and very stable as well.

3. alexmartin

alexmartin New Member

Hi,

I prefer CentOS 5(Dont use CentOS 6 since it doesn't stable and lot of bugs in this). I have experience in web hosting and prefer CentOS. I have seen most of all DC and web hosting providers using CentOS only. Even KVM virtualization also working perfect in this.

4. net-help.dk

net-help.dk New Member

Complex question

It an complex question, what's kind of "VM's" and feautes are you going to need on the host.

Take a look at the "uptimes" which the host need to provide, take a look at the featues you need to provide to the VM's, look at the life time for the VM's and the host.

A "young OS" with a lot of updates could be okey if you SLA allows you to take the host down once a week/months for "host" manitinace ?

I would pick a OS that is stable stable stable, in my world that's Debian, but, Debian might not have the newest feature which you need.

5. harshini

harshini New Member

I prefer windows server..

6. neofire

neofire Member

i agree with net-help.dk its a very complex question and i would be basing this on what your clients requirements are etc

i prefer to use vmware esxi ( vSphere ) as vmware have been one of the leading vendors in virtualization technology and i can provide better reliability and services with vmware over any other product ( with technologies like vmotion, vmware DRS and VMWare HA )

7. alleks

alleks Member

Stable: Debian and CentOS, might sound wierd but I haven't worked with Red Hat never (only installed once as a kid and then forgot about it) but both Fedora and CentOS are based on RPM packages / Red Hat.

But I would also use vmware esxi ( vSphere ), I find it pretty great. I've started with vmware server and then moved to esxi and I am pleased.