which tool to use for scripting??

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by antonibede, Oct 26, 2009.

1. antonibede

antonibede New Member

Hello Everyone,

I am beginner to the scripting Lanuage.I do not know which tool I should use for the better and easy way to learn scripting.

Does any one have idea about this??
    Thanks in adv advance.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Are you looking for an editor? For what language?

3. computer_freak_8

computer_freak_8 New Member

I read the original post as wanting to know what language to use. After seeing this post, I reread the original post, and it appears that I was mistaken... but I don't know for sure.

So, that said, if you're looking for an editor (the thing you use to write the script), I would recommend Bluefish or gedit. (On Ubuntu, I prefer the default installation of Bluefish better than that of gedit, but gedit becomes my preference once I finish personalizing the interfaces on both of them.) This applies primarily for my Perl coding.

However, if you were looking for scripting language recommendations, Perl would be a good one, since it is expandable, flexible, and uses syntax similar to other languages. If you have a specific purpose, though, there may be another language that suits your needs better than Perl would.

4. iInspire

iInspire New Member

There are various IDE's for different Languages.. So wat language are you using?

5. rjamesd

rjamesd New Member

have a goal

Best motivation for learning is that you need a goal to achieve something with your scripting. You need to have an idea about what you want to achieve. Then you will learn how effective the script can be and you can re-use what you wrote for other future tasks.

Do you want to write a web application? Perl, Javascript, PHP

Do you want to automate a Windows application? AutoIt

Do you want to automate a manual command line job? Perl, ksh, sed, awk ...

Have a look the scripts/scripting sections at oreilly.com

Other possible languages for the above tasks are Java, C, C++, C# ...

free tools: vi, vim, Eclipse, Notepad++, SciTe
    paid for tools: Komodo IDE, Microsoft Visual Studio, Dreamweaver

Platform? All of the above (scripts, tools) will run on most OSs: Linux, Unix, Windows, MacOS

Forums:
    howtoforge is a great place to start
    but also consider: stackoverflow.com

6. btomasik

btomasik New Member

<3 Quanta, Eclipse, and vim
    --------
    Or notepad++ if I'm stuck in hell....

7. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

lol :)

I can't really find my way in vim, so i'm using mc's internal editor (nostalgic from norton commander i think ;-))

use it for everything