who control quality, condition and support of the available package?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by willoriker, Apr 26, 2019.

1. willoriker

willoriker Member

i have the oportunity to try to install several packages , for try any diferent to CMS´s ( like WORDPRESS, JOOMLA, ETC),

in all the cases , (i tried with 15 packages) package refuse to install w/o explanation,or says instalation error task, or refuse to install because some fields of instalation data were uncomplete, o wrong. the link showed in the page, were missing, o wrong.
    W/o help, support or google aids, how we can use this packages?
    i suppose this colection are too old, but i upgrade my package list so often, and a lot of this amazing and orphans software still there!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The packages are not from ISPConfig, they are from apscatalog.com.

3. till

Just made a test: updated the package list, the WordPress version is 5.1.1, so that's up to date. Then I clicked on install, selected a website, entered a password and checked the license checkbox and installed the package. Installation successful and WordPress works fine. Tested on current ISPConfig git-stable branch, Ubuntu 18.04 operating system.

4. willoriker

willoriker Member

sorry, but wordpress is the unique Aps package that work (under APS). where i can find instruction about requirements, setting and other data?. joomla and drupal weren´t posible to install ( installation error). i tried too with cisco webex basic. idem. i foolow instruction from ispconfig manual, but, it didint say nothing specific

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In some quick searching, it appears it may have been at doc.apsstandard.org, but that is not accessible now. The best I found was going to archive.org and pulling up http://doc.apsstandard.org/_downloads/package-format-specification-12.pdf from 2014.

Clearly APS is dead and it would probably be welcome if anyone wanted to research current systems to accomplish "one-click" type installs which can be integrated in ISPConfig. Ie. both the technical/functional ability, as well as license compatibility.

Th0m likes this.
  6. till

Yes, I guess we will have to remove the APS installer in the next few releases. The only alternative for ISPConfig that I'm aware of is softaculous, but that's not free.

7. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe we could create a (paid addon?) own service to install the most common things like wordpress and joomla.

Farsus likes this.
  8. till

Creating the addon would not be such a big problem, but maintaining a large catalog of individual app installers is the problem that I see. Doing that would probably require to hire one or more additional developers fulltime to keep the app catalog updated and build new app packages which would cause huge costs and I'm not sure if such a paid addon would earn more money that what the package maintaining costs.

9. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

hhmm.. is the softaculous per server license required for each individual server you want it to be able to install packages onto? or for each server running a control panel interface it needs to integrate to?

I suspect it's going to be the former... :(

10. till

Probably yes, you have to ask them. I don't use that software.

11. branov

branov Member

We removed by our own way APS Installer from ispconfig a long time ago. Than we made our own Wordpress 1-Click implementation into ISPConfig using wp-cli. The same we plan for Drupal (using Drush) and looking way how to do that for Prestashop. We can share with ispconfig community, if you like to.

Gaston Girardi, ahrasis, till and 2 others like this.
  12. Th0m

I think it would be great if you could share and maintain this!

till likes this.
  13. branov

branov Member

I clean some mess from this plugin, add some comments and during next few days I upload it to new Git repo in ISPConfig Gitlab.

ahrasis, Farsus, Th0m and 1 other person like this.
  14. nhybgtvfr

just a note here for anyone who is considering softaculous, this is from their current install instructions for installing it on ispconfig severs:

Note: Softaculous does not support Multi Server setup of ISPConfig Panel yet.

elmacus likes this.
  15. Milen Karaganski

Milen Karaganski New Member

Why not consider the ability for the admin to manually add packages for install? Yes, it will require a manual setup from the admins - to add description, requirements and so, manually add new package when an update is released but this could be an option for now. There are let's say 10 or 15 most used packages (Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, opencart, etc.) so ...

16. choong

choong New Member

We extensively use the WordPress installer in APS for a few thousand accounts. Honestly that is the only package we have enabled in APS on our platform. Re-writing it in our own module and migrating existing APS installations would be pretty painful.

Any chance you would consider leaving the APS in? If so, what would be the conditions for that to happen, and is there something we can do to help out there?

17. Th0m

The WordPress package is not up to date in the APS repo, so that will cause issues already. Also, what do you have to migrate? IIRC the only thing you can do from the ISPC panel is see that it's installed.

18. Th0m

@branov When do you expect your installer to be ready for implementation?

19. choong

choong New Member

True. I understand the reasoning behind removing it. I am just wondering if there is anything we can do to keep it. As I wrote, we have a lot of accounts using this functionality.

I meant indeed migrating information, not migrating files or databases of WordPress installations. Ideally we would also have the possibility to remove and install WordPress afterwards. Our users can install WordPress multiple times in different subfolders for different educational purposes, so that is something we would ideally want to keep. And we would probably need to re-write some user manuals for our users.

In any case, I am happy to elaborate on our use case. And I understand from ISPConfig's perspective why you would want to remove it. Suffice to say I'm not crying wolf, we are actually using the APS functionality quite extensively. So I am just wondering what our options are.

Of course there is the possibility that APS cannot remain, and then we will have to deal with that.

20. nhybgtvfr

well, if you only have a single server installation, you could switch to softaculous.
    if you're multi-server there aren't any other options that I know of, softaculous is not supported on multi-server ispconfig, and the impression I got from asking them about plans and timeframes for it, they don't really have any intentions on doing anything about that anytime soon.