Why does ISPConfig use the old apache?

Discussion in 'General' started by hyperclock, Sep 2, 2005.

1. hyperclock

hyperclock New Member

Hi,
    I setup my box according to the perfect suse 93, there's apache2 on it but when ISPConfig gets configured it uses apache1. Is there a reason for this or a work around so that apache2 gets used? :(

2. linutzy

linutzy New Member

My understanding is...

1.3 is used for the ispconfig interface. Your 2.0 is used to actually host pages.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, thats right. I dont see any reason actually why we should change to apache 2 as long as apache 1 .3 is supported with bugfixes and we dont miss a function in apache 1.3 for the controlpanel.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that's right. To make it perfectly clear: Apache 1.3.33 is used for the ISPConfig web interface on port 81, and it's totally independent from your normal Apache 2.0 which hosts your normal web pages using ports 80 and 443. ISPConfig uses its own Apache to be independent from the main Apache configuration and restarts and failures of the main Apache. :)

5. domino

domino New Member

Tank for the info guys. I was wondering if you can provide a list of things we should't do so that ISPC doesn't break. I know apache is independent from your actual hosting. What about the firewall updates, spamassassin updates, ect.?

6. hyperclock

hyperclock New Member

Thanx for answering my question. Ididn't think of it this way. :)

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

As long as the firewall update is about the firewall software (iptables) and not the firewall rules, there's no problem here.
    The SpamAssassin that comes with ISPConfig is compiled with special options and has nothing to do with the Spamassassin package of your distribution so you can update that too, but it will have no effect on the ISPConfig Spamassassin.