Why php as an apache module??

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by yayien, Oct 25, 2005.

1. yayien

yayien ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

All is in the title... I don't understand why you run php as an apache module whereas we can use cgi and so run each php script by his owner so simply...

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can run PHP as cgi. Simply check CGI in the web site settings, and if you have configured PHP as cgi, it should work. :)

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Generally PHP is faster with apache mod_php, the drawback is that everything runs under the permissions of the webserver user. A solution might be the use of suphp. Does anyone tried this?

4. yayien

yes me under debian but not with the package because it is too permissive so I compiled it..

5. Spum

Spum ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hmm, yeah - but there are some advantages to running PHP as an apache module, mainly because of the integration, and also that it's handled by apache, as opposed to having to pass arguments through the binary.

6. yayien

Yes but php scripts will not be run by apache user, but by the currently user..(because under apache there is a big exploit with uploading scripts..)

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe we shall have a look at suPHP. This enables PHP to run under individual users with the good integration and fast execution of mod_php.

The website of the project is:

http://www.suphp.org/