Wich ssl type i need?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by SpeAroX94, Mar 6, 2017.

1. SpeAroX94

SpeAroX94 New Member

Hi!
    I want to use accepted ssl cert for the isp interface and for the secure mail.
    Anyone know how much ssl cert i need? Or i need to use one? And with wich name?

Thanks.

2. Cris Kolkman

Cris Kolkman Member

I'm using one cert for the ISPConfig interface and the mail.
    Which name? Depends on your server hostname.
    If you own domain example.com name your server something like hosting.example.com and use that to order the cert.

SpeAroX94 likes this.
  3. SpeAroX94

SpeAroX94 New Member

And how can i setup this one cert? I mean the file store place or links ect.
    I mean that with the name question. So my hostname is szerver.xy.hu so i set this to cert.
    Possible to do with some free cert?

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Do you use ISPConfig 3.1 or newer?

5. Cris Kolkman

Cris Kolkman Member

If you own the domain xy.hu you can do that yes.
    I used startssl.com for free (class 1) SSL certs, but Firefox removed them from the trusted authorities list so that's an issue.
    SSL certs are not that expensive though :)

Follow this guide to secure your ISPConfig server:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/securing...h-a-free-class1-ssl-certificate-from-startssl

They are talking about startssl.com in that guide but you probably best replace them with a paid cert or google for free ssl certs (I know there are websites that give you a Let's Encrypt cert based on a csr).
    But the further steps stay the same :)

6. sjau

@chris Kolkman

ISPC 3.1 has integreated support for Let's Encrypt. Getting a SSL cert is as simple as installing certbot and then click two checkboxe.

7. Cris Kolkman

Cris Kolkman Member

I know but you would still have to make the changes described in the tutorial in order to make the cert work for ISPConfig right?
    And also follow these steps to secure postfix etc.

8. sjau

9. SpeAroX94

SpeAroX94 New Member

Thanks for helps. Problem solved. I bought cert and installed.