WIFI in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jibran, Aug 18, 2007.

1. jibran

jibran New Member

Hello guys, I am absolutely new to linux and so far the only problem that I have faced during the installation is that the wireless network isn't working. I have tried both the 'manual configuration' and 'enabled roaming mode' but nothing has come of it. I do see my network listed under the wireless networks but the signal strength is to the minimum and it never connects to it. Although I am putting in the right information every time. Any Ideas???

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you use the latest Ubuntu (7.04)?
    Are you sure you're not too far away from your WLAN access point?

3. jibran

jibran New Member

Finally someone at least replied :). Well the laptop is in the same room as the router and I am using the latest Ubuntu, also as my ethernet is working I have also updated the system in view that it may solve the problem but nothing has come of it either. It is really strange as if I try manual configuration, I don't see any thing but if I use 'enable roaming mode' I can see all the near by routers (my neighborers also have unsecured wireless routers) but I cannot connect to any of them. And I only get one blue bar of signal strength. Is this a common problem in Ubuntu?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff