wifi using dial-up modem

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by pizzipie, Apr 22, 2006.

1. pizzipie

pizzipie New Member

Hi all,

I live in a remote area in Canada and, alas, I don't know if we will ever get broadband service. SO .. I have an older PC (1998) attached to an external modem.

I am in hopes that I can access the internet with the modem and thru the PC, via ethernet card, feed to a wireless router which i can then pass messages to a Dell 800 laptop running windows 2000 and Ununtu Breezy and an HP laptop running Ubuntu Breezy. I am currently running windows 98 and Mandrake 9.0 on the PC. I have two hard drives on it, one dedicated to Linux. I will replace Mandrake with Ubuntu Breezy. The fellow at Best Buy, where I got the below hardware, told me I could not accomplish tying all this together with windows 98.

I am new to linux and don't know where to start. I know enough to be dangerous!!

I have the ethernet card for the PC, the wireless router, and the PCMCIA cardsfor the HP. All Linksys equipment. I have the PCMCIA card for the Dell and it works fine on ethernet and wireless, now.

ANY help would be greatl appreciated.

Rick P.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't know if you can do it with Windows 98, but it should be possible with Mandrake 9.0. AFAIK Mandrake 9.0 comes with the Shorewall firewall that should be configurable in the way you want, maybe even using the Mandrake desktop, if it is installed.

3. pizzipie

pizzipie New Member

Thanks Falko;

I don't plan to use Mandrake. I will install Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy. If I have to and will also use Windows 2000 on that machine.

Do you think this will work??

Thanks, RP

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If I remember right, Win2000 has some kind of internet connection sharing, so this might work.