Wiki

Discussion in 'General' started by PoleCat, Jul 3, 2007.

1. PoleCat

PoleCat New Member

Guys, have anyone setup like a wiki or something similar to try and document the usage of ISPC? I ^H^H My users find the documentation rather bland, and it doesnt explain alot of points.

I get new users asking me some of the same questions over and over. I am pasting them replies I sent to previous people with the same problems. I think it will be beneficial if we can start a Wiki, and we can all jump in and start editing it and help build a really nice professional documentation system for ISPC. Even though I have the PDF up on my website from ISPC and how to use it, alot of users don't want to search and go through pages, even then some don't understand. Users want pictures and a nice menu they can click on to take them directly to the problem. The only way I am gonna solve this is to create a wiki, and hope some other enthusiasts will help me edit it.

So my question is... any admin out there willing to setup a wiki, and we can start tinkering with it in our spare time? OR should I just start my own Wiki? Then once my Wiki is setup I will gladly share the DB so anyone can reuse it?

Ideas?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hi,

I can create a new wiki for ISPConfig. We had already a wiki before, but noone used it except the spammers and so we removed it again after some months.

If the wiki is used this time, it would be great as FAQ resource, but I can not fill the wiki with content myself :)

Till

3. PoleCat

PoleCat New Member

Ok,

Let's do it. Though can you implement a more secure editing wiki. Something where you have to register to be able to edit. Even then a Moderator has to approve of the content before it can go live. This will stop all the spam.

I have already started my own wiki. I am using pmwiki. It is simple and easy to use, and works on PHP.

4. PoleCat

PoleCat New Member

Oh yeah, and can you make it something simple, like http://wiki.ispconfig.org
    It's just easier to remember and referring my clients to that address etc.

5. till

6. PoleCat

PoleCat New Member

Excellent! ;) Let me know when it's up, I can start cutting and pasting over from my own wiki I have been working on.

I looked at quite a few wiki's, I'm finding pmwiki very easy to use and has user access to edit pages. There is also some nice skins out there for it.

7. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Nice: an ISPConfig WIKI!

I would like to help with the content as well! :)

8. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Now thats wicked!!

9. PoleCat

PoleCat New Member

Making progress on this? Can you give us a ETA.

10. till

I created the ISPConfig wiki:

http://wiki.ispconfig.org/

I will contact you by PM and send you a password for editing the pages.

Everyone is invited to join us building the ISPConfig documentation wiki, please send me a PM or a email to dev [at] ispconfig [dot] org to get write access to the wiki.

11. PoleCat

PoleCat New Member

Great work.

Now, before I go crazy and start writing random things in random places about the wiki etc etc, I need to know how is the layout going to work?

Will the wiki have?

1.) Howtos. (especially for end users, as they're clueless!)
    2.) Documentation on Technical functionality (like explaining about what SSL is and how it works and what you need to set it up on ISPC etc etc).
    3.) Documentation for the end user. (Telling them how to the control panel works)
    4.) Documentation for the resellers.
    5.) Documentation for the Admins.
    6.) Technical information about ISPC and how the system works and where it gets installed into etc etc.

We can create menu's for each category with the document links under them.

The Developers or Users (depending how Till wants it) must decide on what they want in the wiki. So help me out.....

I will be happy with:
    1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Or is 1-5 too much? :p

I think 6 should stay in the forums, as it's content that will change all the time.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  12. till

I think the categories 1-5 are fine. We should not dupliacte the perfect setup guides under 1), but moving infos from the tipps & tricks forum to the howto section of the wiki will be nice.

I would like to see as 6. category something like "Development" as we need a place where infos like the database structure and basic steps to start with ISPConfig programming can be stored. I guess that is very similar what you meant with the 6. category?

13. PoleCat

PoleCat New Member

I have created Category 1 through 6.
    I will probably end up contributing to the Howto and the Tech Info section the most. The Admin/Reseller/Client section can initially be pasted over from the pdf manuals, then we can work on fine tuning it and adding more information.

14. till

I added links to the wiki on the ISPConfig homepage. I really like the pmwiki software, I setup mediawiki before several times but pmwiki is much easier to setup and customize.