Will i lose my settings if I upgrade from FC4 to FC5?

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by sbovisjb1, Apr 4, 2006.

1. sbovisjb1

sbovisjb1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Will i lose my settings if I upgrade from FC4 to FC5? I have speant a good two months lovingly configuring it and i would be quite upset if anything goest wrong. (ie loss of data, custom settings, programs, music, movies....)

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I wouldn't upgrade. The risk that something goes wrong is too high.
    "Never touch a running system." :D

3. sbovisjb1

I see.

But ive read reviews amd suh that its possibe. Ill make a image and if anything goes wrong, ill restore it, because i have the new kernel on fedora core 4 anyways... ihave FC4 16, so i guess thats just the same functuality and updates as FC%, without some directories and ordering.

4. 22hosting

22hosting New Member

If it's a system you don't mind trashing then trash it. Or look at VServers ;-)
    You can always just backup all the configuration files that you need before you upgrade. It "shouldn't" trash your configs so long as nothing major changes in FC5, but then you can never be too sure. Upgrading can be dodgy, but RPM overwrites tend to leave existing configuration files if they are deemed to be "custom".

As you say, imaging is probably your best option if it all goes pear shaped...
    ________
    KAMELLY

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

6. sbovisjb1

Thank you that was the software/tutorial i was thinking of.