Will it be possible to run ispconfig safely on PHP 8.0 on Almalinux 9?

Discussion in 'General' started by martinhe, Jan 30, 2023.

1. martinhe

martinhe Member

Hi, can I expect an official manual on almalinux 9 in the foreseeable future where PHP 8.0 is supported until 2032?

In Almalinux 8 (CentOS 8), PHP 8.0 is not supported from this year. And remi.repo is not supported in Almalinux at all. Resp. not recommended.

Please don't convince me that remi.repo is safe. We only want to use the official BaseOS repository.

Sub-Question: Is ISPConfig support for PHPv 7.4 ensured? If so, until when will the support be guaranteed?

Thank you very much.

2. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

No idea if @till plans to publish a Perfect Server How-to for AlmaLinux 9 or one of the other RHEL 9 compliant spin-offs like Rocky Linux but both distributions are binary compatible to RHEL 8 or respectively 9 so it doesn't matter for which distro the How-To would be written for.

Since when does Remi Repo not support AlmaLinux? Where did you find this information?
    In fact Remi build his packages against RHEL and none of the freely available RHEL spin-offs and you can safely use his packages on Alma as well as Rocky Linux or RHEL itself.

ISPConfig 3.2.8(x) supports up to PHP 7.4
    ISPConfig >= 3.2.9 supports PHP 8.x

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig 3.2.9 supports all PHP versions between 5.6 and 8.1. I might take a look at supporting RHEL9 clones in the future, but I can't say when I have free time for that.

martinhe likes this.
  4. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

Did you mean support in ISPConfig or a How-To?

5. martinhe

martinhe Member

I know they are compatible, but the manual is not even for any compatible offshoot. The last manual ends with CentOS 8.

I didn't mean that it doesn't support, but that the package is not supported and guaranteed by Red Hat. We don't want to use any key package that is not part of the ecosystem guaranteed by such a big player as Red Hat and therefore also recommended by Almalinux 9/RHEL9 itself. The fact that Remi will probably work and will probably be safe and will probably be problem-free is only a general narrative, but Red Hat itself distances itself from guarantees and guarantees and states that it is appropriate to use only officially guaranteed packages.

Here I am not interested in what versions they support, but backwards compatibility, whether 3.2.9 and others support and will continue to support PHP 7.4, which is the only one guaranteed by Red Hat for Almalinux 8 until 2031.

6. martinhe

martinhe Member

Thank you for the answer. So we have no choice but to use Almalinux 8 with PHP 7.4, I'm glad that ISPConfig compatibility allows for this.

7. martinhe

martinhe Member

8. till

We always try to maintain compatibility with old PHP versions as long as possible, as ISPConfig is used by many companies in production systems, and on such servers, you often have LTS releases that still ship with quite old PHP versions that are still maintained with security updates by the distribution.

Does RHEL9 come with PHP 8.2? Otherwise, I would think that ISPConfig 3.2.9 should probably work with RHEL9 clones. We just have not tested it (and written a guide for it) yet. Support for PHP 8.2 is underway, but when you have a large old code base, it's a lot of work to check if all code still works with restrictions introduced in a new PHP version.

9. martinhe

martinhe Member

That is the problem. You write that you are trying to ensure compatibility with "old" versions of PHP, but we are talking about new versions of PHP, because 7.4 is by no means old, and in the next 10 years it will not be called old by professional server administrators in corporate environments. rather, they will refer to it as enterprise-friendly in the years to come, until support for it expires on the only system suitable for enterprise-key environments, which is RHEL.

RHEL ships with PHP 8.0, which has support until 2032, while PHP 8.2 is currently available with partial support, i.e. "for a test". See: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Application Streams Life Cycle - Red Hat Customer Portal

Attached Files:

10. martinhe

martinhe Member

So actually PHP 8.2 will only be supported in RHEL 10, but only partially, because only PHP 8.1 will have a full life cycle support.

By that I mean that RHEL will not fully support PHP 8.2 for many years.

Or 8.2 will be the default in RHEL 10, but we can only assume that, because it is not certain at all.

11. martinhe

martinhe Member

Yes, we would like to use ISPConfgi on RHEL9/Almalinux 9, which has full cycle life support for PHP 8.0, but we can't because there is no official installation manual for it. We don't want to risk the promise that it will "probably" work. So until it's in the documentation, I can't try it on my own.

12. till

PHP 7.4 is an old PHP version, according to the makers of the PHP programming language, and I therefore refer to it as an old PHP version. the current PHP versions are all in the 8.x range. As I mentioned, we try to support old PHP versions as long as possible, so PHP 7.4 will likely work with ISPConfig for the next 10 years.

Ok, so ISPConfig supports that PHP version already.

That's up to you. ISPConfig is OpenSource, test it on RHEL 9, write instructions on how to install it by using the CentOS 8 guide as a reference, issue bug reports if something does not work, and don't wait that everyone else to do the work for you. Recommended distributions for ISPConfig are Debian and Ubuntu, so our main focus is on these distributions.