WinXP activation

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Fintan, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Fintan

Fintan New Member

Hello all,
    I followed this how-to:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_converter_windows_linux_p3

Everythjing went fine up until I started my virtual winxp and it asked me to activate my windows. I did that and ms told me that I had to buy a new license or something to that extent.
    It is an original oem version. But it said that my key was not valid any more.

Does any one have an idea how to get around this?

Thank you in advance
    Cheers
    Fintan

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Well, you can activate it only a couple of times... yuo will then be presented with a toll-free number, call that... it is an automatic system and at one stage it asks wheter you have modified your hardware... there you just say "yes"... maybe you will be connected then to a live operator - in this case just tell that operator that your harddisk was too small and you bought a new one and so you must reinstall it...

Just keep in mind you are allowed to only install 1 copy of it at any given time!

3. zcworld

zcworld New Member

once it is activation
    do an backup

nothing is worst than having it activation and than a week later having to do an reinstall and do it all again with the ringing them up

( i hate waiting my time on install / config a OS to my settings i need )
    i ALWAYS backup my install of any OS in VMware ( if its linux ) or an working copy of my windows
    so i can do testing in it
    so i know what it will do to my real box
    like any problems

4. Fintan

Fintan New Member

@sjau: thanks, I hope they eat that one.

@zcworld: by backup, do you mean clone?

Thanks all for the quick responses:)

5. zcworld

zcworld New Member

a clone in a way :)
    but yep

on my windows box
    i goto the installed VM
    and do a 7Z on MAX compression
    ( takes ages to do and about twice as long to unzip than an RAR format but its the space saving i like when you got like 40 GB of VMware install laying around VS 12 GB 7Z )

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  6. Fintan

Fintan New Member

okay did that. Thank you