Working with ISPConfig with IP

Discussion in 'General' started by MyLinux, Sep 5, 2005.

1. MyLinux

MyLinux New Member

Hi friends,
    Does any one know any method to use ip address instead of hostname which I have to register as a valid DNS record due to the fact that I want to install ispconfig on a server with valid IP address.
    I would like to test ispconfig capabilities before assigning the name and registration of that name.
    Thank you,

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can add your domain to the the hosts file on your (windows or Linux) workstation.

The format of this file is:

Code:
    192.168.0.40	www.yourdomain.com

3. MyLinux

MyLinux New Member

Dear Till,
    Thank you for replying.As you know using the hosts file is possible mostly in local station ,but in my case I am trying to do so through SSH and IE.
    for example I want to access to my ispconfig : http://100.100.100.100:81.
    As another problem I can point to asking the host name (a valid one) during the installation of ISPConfig(I do not want to assign valid name at the moment).
    :eek:

4. till

This are some different questions. You can use the IP for everything except the apache vhosts, they are name based and you must have a correct DNS A-Record pointing to your server or modify the hosts file.

There are several threads in the forums on how to install ispconfig without providing a domain. In the installer, leave the host empty and enter the IP-Address as domain.

5. MyLinux

MyLinux New Member

Dear friend,
    Thanks for your reply,I shall check them.So just let me know wether it is possible to use ispconfig without domain assigning or not?
    Thank you again,
    :cool:

6. till

1) Yes, it is possible to use ISPConfig without assigning a domain.
    2) No, it is not possible to use vhosts in ISPConfig without assigning a domain.